585,744 active members*
4,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Way wiper seals

Does anyone know of an aftermarket source for way wiper seals for an LB-15 lathe? Are these a dealer only item?

Thanks

Thanks PC,

Have you had any direct experience with either company? If so, which do you prefer (price, service, availability of product)?

I ordered some wipers from

Way Wipers - Gortite

and they where everything I wanted and more...not to mention they where a custom set for a 1949 boring mill, and that was 5 years ago no problems with them thus far.. :cheers:

Okuma LB-15 CNC Lathe Way Wipers

I am A&A Gortite's SoCal rep (Bellows and Protective Covers Manufacturer - Gortite - 800-394-1547). Just wanted to let you know that A&A has wiper drawings on file for the Okuma LB15 CNC Lathe. Talk to Matt at A&A.

Thanks,

I've been talking to Matt. He should have a quote to me by Monday or Tuesday of next week. More than likely the drawing you spoke of was the one I made of my old wipers and sent in to him. I will have to confirm dimensions directly from the way's before finalizing things though. These were for the Z axis. The X is harder to measure accurately due to the offset dovetail design.

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by nlh View Post
    Thanks,

I've been talking to Matt. He should have a quote to me by Monday or Tuesday of next week. More than likely the drawing you spoke of was the one I made of my old wipers and sent in to him. I will have to confirm dimensions directly from the way's before finalizing things though. These were for the Z axis. The X is harder to measure accurately due to the offset dovetail design.

Nate
    That's great! I have been involved in the design of at least one dovetail Okuma LB15 (H1023-0007-01,02,03). I would agree to confirm dimensions especially with respect to the dovetail wipers ... A&A can do this by supplying a drawing or even a template after receipt of order.

As A&A wasn't the original supplier of wipers to Okuma, they don't have all wipers on file (they did supply wipers to the US branch of Okuma for a while). I would say they have done at least 60% of them. If you have the Okuma part number, they'll look it up. If it's not on their list, the next thing to do is to provide them the way dimensions along with the outside wiper profile and thickness, and they'll generate a quote. The A&A local rep is available to do this for you for free. After an order, A&A will generate an approval drawing for you to confirm dims.

Thanks again,

I look forward to working with A & A and getting some wipers back on my machine. Currently I'm running without, although to see the old wipers, there wasn't any point in keeping them on anway. They weren't sealing anything in or out.

At first I did e-mail Matt with some part #'s from my book, but nothing crossed to what was on file. I have a very early LB-15. Manufacture date is 1983.

Just for your reference, the front/lower dovetail wiper on the X axis is a part #H1023-0003-90. Description is "WIPER, AB-1"

The ones for Z are:

H1023-0003-89 (position on machine, when viewing from open door, chuck on left, wiper is upper way front of saddle)

H1023-0004-09 (lower way front of saddle)

H1023-0003-88 (upper way rear of saddle)

H1023-0004-08 (lower way rear of saddle)

Hopefully I will know more by Tuesday.

Nate