585,906 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Carbon Fiber

Carbon Fiber

Just had a request to machine some carbon fiber. Anyone machined this in their home shops? Is there much of a hazard if using flood coolant? Will it contaminate my flood?

Also, any place to buy it cheap?

What kind of stock, bar, plate, etc.. ? Thickness ?

I've bought from a place which I can't remember off hand, but it's something like red dragon fly, dragon fly, or something like that.

I've tried to machine carbon fiber a few times when I first got into machines, it's a little tricky on a lathe. I ended up just hiring out, they made a die to extrude the rods instead. I can tell you this, it's extremely hard on the body if inhaled so protection is a must here (eyes, hands, lungs, etc..). I'd also hook up a shop vac to get as much as you can, watch out for splinters this stuff really sucks to machine. 8) Not sure about the coolant thing, I turned & machined mine dry.

The time I machined CF on a mill the results weren't bad at all. A carbide cutter, 4 FL, low feeds, high RPMs worked best, it's as hard as steel, but stringy/dusty is the best way I can explain it.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. Hope this helps

Sorry here we go, it's called DragonPlate Carbon Fiber Composite Components - Carbon Fiber Sheet, carbon fiber sheets, Nomex, Square Tubes & Splices, Carbon Fiber Panel, Carbon Fiber Tube & Rod

They sell smaller stock, not too sure how big you need. I'll try and remember the others I've used in the past for larger stock.

Just about any sharp solid carbide end mill will work just fine, use speeds and feeds as suggested from twocik. Make sure you use a vacuum to remove as much of the dust and fibers as possible and wear a dust mask, do not breath any of the dust, very bad. No coolant is needed and use some rags to protect the ways even if you have covers, makes clean up easier.

Jerry

yes it will contaminate your coolant.

Thanks for all the feed back. It looks like he has decided to buy a router table and cut the parts himself, twock it was CF plate about 2mm thick.

Sooooo.. Looks like I have my first network for parts started, he will cut my CF when I need it, and I am cutting his AL parts..

Cutting carbon-fiber on the mill is just like grinding graphite on a surface grinder...coolant is MANDATORY if you don't have a shop-air filter with a 1 micron or less medium.

Yes it will contaminate your coolant, but it's much better than the alternative. Same goes for machining MDF, cast iron or other material with fines that can impart a less-than-desirable after effect to your coolant.

If you insist on cutting MDF, your coolant tank should be disconnected from your mill, the tank covered and all drains plugged, followed by a serious vaccuming and flush afterwards.

If you cut cast iron, cut without coolant and do the same. Otherwise the next time you cut aluminum you will not like the result!

If you cut carbon-fiber, cut without coolant and do the same. Otherwise you will ruin your coolant. If it's too much of a pain to disconnect the coolant tank from your mill, at the very least you should be covering the tank with sheet plastic/tape and plugging the drains for a good cleanup.

Cleaning up after graphite/carbon-fiber requires flushing your machine/stand with a small batch of pre-mixed coolant in a five gallon bucket and a wet-dry vac.

DO NOT vaccuum dry! Unless you have an awesome (expensive, 1 micron or less) filter AND post-filter on the exhaust port, you will be breathing whatever doesn't fall out of suspension into the tank. I prefer using a setup like is used for drywall...a water-bath pre-filter to catch the fine stuff inline with the wet/dry vac.

Paranoid much? Not unless carbon pneumonia is on your list of things to do...think silicosis and miner's lung put together. I wear safety glasses, a faceshield, a face mask or respirator even while machining this stuff...my health is too important to me.

I don't care how some people have seen it done in "other" shops...if they don't have as many multiple precautions in place to avoid ANY airborne dust when machining composites, they are hacks and putting your health at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    Cutting carbon-fiber on the mill is just like grinding graphite on a surface grinder...coolant is MANDATORY if you don't have a shop-air filter with a 1 micron or less medium.

Yes it will contaminate your coolant, but it's much better than the alternative. Same goes for machining MDF, cast iron or other material with fines that can impart a less-than-desirable after effect to your coolant.

If you insist on cutting MDF, your coolant tank should be disconnected from your mill, the tank covered and all drains plugged, followed by a serious vaccuming and flush afterwards.

If you cut cast iron, cut without coolant and do the same. Otherwise the next time you cut aluminum you will not like the result!

If you cut carbon-fiber, cut without coolant and do the same. Otherwise you will ruin your coolant. If it's too much of a pain to disconnect the coolant tank from your mill, at the very least you should be covering the tank with sheet plastic/tape and plugging the drains for a good cleanup.

Cleaning up after graphite/carbon-fiber requires flushing your machine/stand with a small batch of pre-mixed coolant in a five gallon bucket and a wet-dry vac.

DO NOT vaccuum dry! Unless you have an awesome (expensive, 1 micron or less) filter AND post-filter on the exhaust port, you will be breathing whatever doesn't fall out of suspension into the tank. I prefer using a setup like is used for drywall...a water-bath pre-filter to catch the fine stuff inline with the wet/dry vac.

Paranoid much? Not unless carbon pneumonia is on your list of things to do...think silicosis and miner's lung put together. I wear safety glasses, a faceshield, a face mask or respirator even while machining this stuff...my health is too important to me.

I don't care how some people have seen it done in "other" shops...if they don't have as many multiple precautions in place to avoid ANY airborne dust when machining composites, they are hacks and putting your health at risk.
    Pretty much why I have decided for now not to machine CF. I have a friend who has been a long time machinist but is suffering from machining beryllium years ago.

I have expressed concern that he also take into consideration taking safety precautions. Since he is cutting CF alone, he can better control his shop. Mine is too close to my family for the dangers.

We do a lot of cf. We have a 15k dollar barnes filter to clean up the coolant now. Be is no joke, I know several people with issues that never even cut it, just worked in a shop that did years ago. With cf think asbestos when you cut it.

"If you cut cast iron, cut without coolant and do the same. Otherwise the next time you cut aluminum you will not like the result!"

307Startup,
    What is the result?
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    "If you cut cast iron, cut without coolant and do the same. Otherwise the next time you cut aluminum you will not like the result!"

307Startup,
    What is the result?
    Bevin
    It has been my experience that cast-iron fines in the coolant will leave a nasty embedding of iron particles in the aluminum. You end up with aluminum that rusts and exhibits galvanic corrosion that starts from the moment the part is being cut.

Bigger shops that do a variety of parts often have a nice coolant filtration system that prevents this from occurring, without having to have material-specific machines or coolant swap-outs. I don't have this luxury.

As I anodize my aluminum at-home, I have had some experience with the problems caused by this scenario...and it was only after much frustration that the light-bulb came on in my head and I was able to remedy it.

Besides which, cast-iron cuts beautifully without coolant, so it's not like you're depriving yourself of any benefits by going this route. YMMV, but I don't like to give out bad advice, free or not.

Thanks 307.
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    As I anodize my aluminum at-home, I have had some experience with the problems caused by this scenario...and it was only after much frustration that the light-bulb came on in my head and I was able to remedy it.

I would like to start doing that, but I keep running into concerns on regulations and inspections. Feel free to PM me any information if you know of any, hate to start a debate here. basically what I have found is that any product made from anodizing/plating fall under the Fed regulations.... I need good info before I tell the city I am doing that.

Re: Carbon Fiber

We manufacture items in bulk materials. Our main purpose is to meet the needs of clients by offering them the perfect production technology and product of high quality. Our services include the analysis of carbon fiber elements, carbon fiber sheets,3D drawings, and models.