584,814 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

431 z axis servo excess error

I have a clausing stingray cv1000 with a fanuc o-md contorller on it. The problem I am having is with the z axis. it will go down but not always up. Sometimes when I go up it will skip and alarm out. The alarm I get is 431-servo alarm z axis excess error. I was told it might be the motor so I swapped it with one of onother cv 1000, same motor. I got the same results. It does not do this all the time, sometimes it will go all day without acting up, other days it will act up all day or intermitent. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris

It also only seems to do it after it sits for a couple of days.

check the current

assuming its a vertical spindle mill/ gravity axis? if so is the brake releasing (if it has one in the servo).
    is counterbalance by weights or gas springs? if gas springs, accuumulator might need recharged.

otherwise, check the way lube is good, maybe get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the ballnut and thrust bearings for rumble in one direction... a torque wrench on the screw can tell you a lot too- just be sure everythings blocked in case counterbalance is not working before pulling motor/brake
    a common issue on our vertical screws is the lower screw bearings get crap pushed thru the seals and lock up- hate to admit, but most of our machines have had the lower bearings left out for years...not right for sure, but dont seem to hurt the uppers(we run mostly aluminum) and saves a lot of downtime...some screws are loaded from both ends so leaving one end free isnt possible without reorienting the upper bearing thrust directions...most of ours just have a radial lower bearing to prevent shaft whip, but Ive never seen a issue without it...