585,753 active members*
4,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

"probe tip diameter is invalid "

Hi,

I recently purchased a used Marposs Probe to replace an econo probe I had for years. The Marposs probe came with a probe tip that is 0.2755" dia. (old Econo Probe was around 0.15). But when I input the new 0.2755" dia into tool #99, the message of "probe tip diameter is invalid " comes up when I try to probe the vise. I can probe X, Y or Z just fine but not the vise. There seems to be a limitation of maximum dia for the probe tip on the probe vise wizard. I can change the dia to 0.25 and it will work... but the probe tip is 0.755". Can I change this? Where?

Thanks!

Ken Wu

Just found in PCNC1100M3-W.set where it sets the min and max for probe diameter.

If ProbeDia <0.1 OR ProbeDia > 0.25 Then
    Message "Probe tip diameter is invalid"

But when I tried changing the 0.25 to 0.30 and restart Mach... it crashes with a white screen (tool bar on top still there... can click on it, load a file but the main screen remains white... when I try to exit... Mach crash message pops up)

Anyone know how to change the screen set correctly?

Ken

I'd take a wild guess that there is a reason for restricting the range of diameters of the probe, probably having to do with the size of trig errors produced, although you'd have to examine all the math in the macro to find out for sure.
    When the probe is vertical, and the ball diameter gets larger, the effective angle of motion of the probe takes on a certain angularity with respect to the vertical.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)