584,337 active members*
6,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAD for the Mikini

I have used BobCad with a Fadal machine and it worked great. I had to sell the Fadal and am now interested in an affordable machine in my garage shop. I have read the discription of the 1610L and am a little puzzled about PC controller extra. If this is a true CNC machine how do you program the basic unit.

I've not posted on this forum for years and am pleased to be getting a new shop started out here in New Mexico. I'm a gunsmith of 30 years and this seems to be a great place.

The PC is required. You either buy the one from Mikini, or you put your own in.

I chose to buy my own, as I am comfortable building computers and did so for less than the Mikini price. That said, I won't have any support from Mikini if something goes wrong with what I installed. If the price is not too much for you, I would suggest you go with the Mikini-provided hardware...

It also has a manual controller, that lets you use a jog wheel. Note that when you are in manual mode, MACH3 has NO idea the machine is moving, so once you jog manual, your position in MACH is lost (and up to you to re-establish, may not be possible depending on what you did).

Also, I don't see it noted anywhere in the online docs or the manual, but the Mikini DOES have limit/homing functionality on all three axes, so when you first power up, you should run a homing sequence from MACH3 every time to make sure you are where you think you are (didn't move with the power off)...