585,931 active members*
4,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Alibre importing the wrong sizes, SOLVED

Alibre importing the wrong sizes, SOLVED

I have some files that I created in Bobcad that I wanted to machine using the tools I have Alibre Cam expert.

Problem is that regardless what I set the file type to the part sizes are way out of step with the actual part sizes. My dimensions are set to inch and I can even force them to inch in the import tool, yet a 6" long part becomes 103".

I can import the same file into Visual mill and it will correctly size the part, so it doesn't appear to be a Bobcad file issue. Problem is that I have 4th axis in the Alibre Cam, but not in my Visual mill 6.

Any ideas? Is there a metric conversion in Alibre like Visual mill?

Don't use the "force them to inch in the import tool" and see if that helps. It worked for me.
    David L. Aery
    www.hooksolutions.com

Tried both ways, makes no difference.

I use BobCad and have just started Alibre in hopes of a better drawing program. Right now my dimensions are working. Are you sure your dimensions are set to inches after the import by going to File, to Properties, that opens the Design Properties and then select the tab Units and there select inches.
    David L. Aery
    www.hooksolutions.com

BobCad works internally in "METRIC".. Everything is converted.. When I export stuff out, it is in MM..No matter what my BobCad interface is set to..

What you want to look for is an option to "Scale the model" when converting it from MM to Inches..." I dont know Aloibre well enough to direct you, but if changing the system units to inches on the imported file, doesnt resize the model, then, look in the preferences for some kind of "import area", or in the units area, and see if there is a setting for scaling things on the system unit change..

If you have "expert", then you also have MoI which will do this for you also....

Burrman, when you say "expert" do you mean Alibre or Bob-Cad?

I did a plain test of Alibre in working with these files.

Alibre will import to correct size if the part was in MM, as I created a 2x2x2 inch cube and then saved as an IGS file. Then I imported that same file into Alibre, without any import options and it did show 50.800 mm. Which would be correct in Metric.

When I Forced measurement to Inches, it imported it as 50.800" so your right about the scaling issue for sure. Now I need to find out how to either scale to in in Bobcad on output, or scale to inch in ALibre.

At least I have a direction now.
    Thanks

Ok, I found what to do. Maybe if someone else has this issue it will help.

I found that I have to import it as MM just as Bobcad exports it in Alibre. Then inside of alibre, click on File, Properties, then click units tab. Select inches and it will correctly scale the part to inches.

The whole " Overide Units" import option doesn't do anything but switch the measurement to what you select without any scaling.

Thanks all for the help.

Ok Great job! FYI: Nothing to do in BobCad to change anything...BobCads output will always import as MM... You are now correct to look for and make the changes in the importing program...

By the way, I meant "Alibre Expert" (I thought someone had mentioned that) comes with MoI! MoI is a killer modeling package that you should take advantage of, especially if you have the Alibre Expert (Comes with it)..

BTW: Did you know that you can put MoI on a USB stick and run it from there??? I always have it in my pocket!