585,719 active members*
4,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Plasma, EDM / Other similar machine Project Log > Simple point in the right direction, Please!... 4'x4' build...

Talking Simple point in the right direction, Please!... 4'x4' build...

Hello, this is my first post but have been lurking here for over a year now.. was about set to do a cnc metal mini-lathe... but now I have a new plasma cutter, seen some video's on youtube, and love the options for this more!...

Can anyone point me to some Plans for a 4x4 table build?... I want to keep this low budget as I will only tinker with it here at home in the garage and have to intent to make any money from it... Hobby only!... Doing stuff like this [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyhV4oLOHEg&NR=1"]YouTube - Precision Plasma CNC Cutting Table[/nomedia]

I can even go smaller to maybe a 3x3 or 3x4... Nothing bigger for certain... What size motors am I looking for for this size of table?... I see many kits on ebay that has the 4-axis, controller, power supply and some with Mach 3 for cheap... Like this one..4 Axis Board 1.8Nm Stepper Motor Power Supply CNC Kit - eBay (item 250748054560 end time Jan-26-11 05:02:47 PST)
    Would something like this work for me?.... What other electronics would be a necessity???

If i make the gantry out of aluminum, would these steppers be big enough... Or could I go to a kit with smaller steppers?...

Thank you very much guys and I promise to try and not be a nuisance!

I have an 8x4 table running 170 oz/in steppers.
    Some of the best advice I can give you is to look at Millmans thread on his build, I believe it to be one of the best write ups on here.
    I can get 6500mm/min rapid rate on mine, the fastest I run it for cutting is about 2500mm/min because of fast direction changes etc.
    You will also need a signal generator which works with the software you intend. Candcnc do a good package which contains all you want. The price on the e-bay site is very very cheap. I think you get what you pay for.
    Have a look at torchmate and flashcut aswell.
    A good cad program is also needed. I think to get anything worthwhile you will be spending a couple of grand to get all the bits.
    Feckless

Thank you for the input!... Any clue as to maybe a link on his build?... I searched in the advance area for any post with his name... Nothing comes up... I am looking at a kit from a link on this forum as well... Stepper Driver and Electronics for CNC Routers looks like a better kit and is only $400 for 3 axis.... All separate electronics and not all bundled on one board....

Millmans post Starts with (Started building new 5x10 table today) by millman52, again an excellent source of information and he passed so much information along to me during my build. Even though his table may be larger than you want, the concept can be applied to any size table. The forums are full of many excellent builds, take time to read and look every ones over, you will see things that may or may not apply to your design but this place is a wealth of knowledge. I can't say enough about CandCNC electronics and highly recommend them. I am sure other electronic packages out there are suitable and some aren't, be wary on cheap ebay items, you will get what you pay for. Many type of drive systems are used here, sprocket, belt, lead screw, rack and pinion. Some are cheaper than others, explore your options. I found weld tutors build and most of the chain and sprocket builds very appealing and informative. To many to list.
    Have fun with your build and good luck.

Found it!... Been reading up on it... man, that is one heavy duty setup!..... Off topic, When i open his or anyones thread... It shows me the newest posting first... anyone know how i can sort the replies to oldest first.... for instance... I open Millmans thread... and i have to skip to page 25 and read from bottom to top.. then page 24.. etc....

Thanks guys! I think i'm on the right track now!..

Quote Originally Posted by winegar View Post
    Found it!... Been reading up on it... man, that is one heavy duty setup!..... Off topic, When i open his or anyones thread... It shows me the newest posting first... anyone know how i can sort the replies to oldest first.... for instance... I open Millmans thread... and i have to skip to page 25 and read from bottom to top.. then page 24.. etc....

Thanks guys! I think i'm on the right track now!..
    At the top of any page, click on User CP. From there click on Settings and Options in the left column.
    About halfway down you'll find Thread Display Options. The Thread Display Mode drop-down will let you change how messages are displayed.

Hope this helps.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Perfect!... Thank you very much!!!