585,597 active members*
3,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > New PC - transfer machine defs, settings etc.

New PC - transfer machine defs, settings etc.

I'm setting up a new PC for our primary Mastercam user and just want to confirm that I should be able to copy his cnc_machines, mill and lathe folders along with the converter code for Pro/E from the existing install on his current PC to the install of Mastercam on his new PC. I read another post that indicated this should work. The version of Mastercam is the same (X4 mu3) but the new PC is substantially different, so I'm not sure if that effects the ability to easily transfer these files and have him hit the ground running with the new PC. Here are the PC configs:

Old PC: Dell Precision 360, 2.52 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4 700XGL graphics card. Running Windows XP 32 bit SP3 with Mastercam X4 MU3 installed at C:\McamX4

New PC: Dell Precision T3500, 2.27 GHz Intel Quad Core Xeon (core i7), 6 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX580 graphics card. Running Windows7 64 bit, with mastercam X4 MU3 installed at c:\mcamx.

All the CNC programs he generates are stored on the network and the machine definitions etc are already backed up to the network.

Any tips / words of caution or simple "yup, that should work" are appreciated.

Erik

I have done it that way in X4 several times with no issues at all. I think that you should be ok. I cant comment on the pro/e things as we dont use it. The Machine defs, posts, and any of your operation defaults should be good to go.

neurosis,

Thanks for the info. I received feedback elsewhere indicating it should work as well. The only caution was regarding the config file and mtb file for Mastercam. Because the install folder is different on the new PC these files would have to be recreated on the new PC. They could be copied if I had installed Mastercam X4 on the new PC in c:\McamX4 (like the old PC) vs. the c:\mcamx that is the default used by the installer when there isn't a previous version that you're installing parallel to.

Erik

absolutely. you can redirect your paths but it is usually easier to just create a new config.