584,814 active members*
5,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone done any importing from Taiwan?

With our dollar being reasonably good at the moment I was wondering if anyone had imported machinery directly from Taiwan and if the savings were worth the hassle.

I am specifically looking at a Vertex universal dividing head, about 70kg and I have no idea what freight would be worth. Also I believe if I get it shipped I need to get a customs broker do a declaration for me (I forget the exact name).

So if anyone has done something like this and has rough figures or advice I would appreciate the comments

The numbers are pretty likely to be hard to swallow.

70 kilos of iron would come by seafreight.
    It will probably be approx 0.1cubic meter.

Seafreight will probably be less than 50 dollars if your supplier sends it and You prepay the freight.

You will need a customs agent if the value of the shipment is over $1000 as customs get involved in shipments over that value.

This is where it becomes expensive as the agents fees may add another few hundred dollars on top.
    Dont forget 10% GST is also due plus port handling and storage fees.

Best thing to do is to find a company in Your area that can do importation for You and inform Yourself of costs.

Alternatively You can do all this on Your own; it is an interesting excersise in bureaucracy but is worth doing it.

Eh well I have ordered from somewhere local, but they are importing it directly with current exchange rates so I am getting a half reasonable price, definitely not the best possible though.

As far as I can see if it is by freight (not post) and below $1k you still have to make a declaration to customs. You can do it yourself but you need a certain digital certificate which costs ~$170 from Verizon, which is not terribly cost effective given that I probably won't be importing much else (oh btw these certificates only last 2 years :/). Other than that you'd need a customs broker and I don't even know where to start with that.

Thanks for your post though, gives me some idea at least of what I can expect to pay for sea freight in future. $50 seems pretty reasonably really. Also I hadn't even imagined port & storage fees; bleah.

Import cost

Hi all I have just done this. - Bought a CNC Mill and Lathe from Taiwan. Total cost US6000 - Including freight by sea ($300 for 600kg and 2 CuMeters)

Import cost were in Total $1400 - Made up of Port fees 450$ GST 600$ local transport 90$ the rest was customs entry fee and broker fees.

Hope this helps

Hi Hooooooter,( hope that's is enough os). What brand mill and lathe did you buy and how was the importing experience?