586,024 active members*
3,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > ZW3D Should I buy Pro's & Cons.
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quick Mill is great in ZW3D CAD/CAM, what I could expect more is the future enhancement after I'm using ZW3D 2012 for a few months, as what they promise, I did get the 2X turning with the Fanuc post processor, it works pretty good, their support guys are nice. I did use VX for a few years, it was not only the tool for me, it means more.

I don't think QM is slow in development, they are promising to have 64bit support, as well as faster, safer and easier machining. I love their new CAM folder in ZW3D 2012, even though it needs a little more improvement. It shows me more confidence that QM is going to be better.

Hey guys, I just purchased ZW3D 2012 after testing the beta version. So far I’m pretty happy with my purchase as it can deal with all of my needs. What I really like is the translator which imports my CATIA V5 files nicely and the healing on it is great. I’m not sure if anyone here has used hybrid kernel software before, but i’ve had a great experience so far. I don’t really need to have the perfect solid in order to machine my mold. Regarding Quick Mill, it has been a breeze to use and does all the calculations etc for me. However, I hope that the 5x machining will be enhanced soon so I can see the real life simulation and see the end result of my designs. Does anyone know if this will happen in the near future?

Yes 2013 Beta is out and it is pretty sad. 64 bit is not there like it was supposed to be and now they say September. I doubt they will make that. Direct editing is still rudimentary at best. Sheet metal see's nothing of significance which caps years of pitiful efforts or no efforts here. Go to the ZW3D forums and see for yourself how these poor guys who are trying to be In the ZW fan club have a lot of negative things to say. No High speed machining AGAIN.

Very few enhancements or product feature additions of worth. Now their big problem is that they are pretty well standing still but others are forging ahead with powerful tools that make you more money year in and year out. ZW I think has forever crossed into the realm of third or fourth rate software in all areas and their customers will soon be those who can't afford better or those who can't afford to leave. The beta stayed on my workstation for about one hour and that was it for me. Here from V9 to 2012 and I have pulled the plug on this junk. Buy this if you can't afford better as you can create parts and machine them but don't expect to set any productivity records and things are broken in some of the tool paths again so cut air the first time around.

Hi, lapuser

I have not returned to this forum for almost two years, and it seems that you are still complaining. What I would like to say to everybody here:

1) When you said "Transmagic R8 works in Windows 8, but R9 failed", please understand that both of them were released before Windows 8, and Transmagic R8 was even more than two years ago, Colin's post was just the walk-around. And now ZW3D already includes Transmaigc R10 to open Catia V6 file which is compatible to Windows 8. By the way, Transmagic is another company, and you are confusing the others, it was not ZWSOFT's fault if Transmaigc didn't release the Windows 8 compatible Transmagic package before Windows 8 was released.
    2) When you talked about 64bit, I would like to say to you ZW3D do have the 64bit version, please get more information from ZWSOFT website
    3) I'm sorry that I don't know how exactly CAMworks working with SolidEdge, but I would like to tell you, what 'All-in-one' CADCAM means.
    a) They should use the same database, in another word, they can save to the same file format
    b) They should be seamless integration

As I know, Catia is a real all-in-one, NX is a real all-in-one, So does ZW3D, I can use ZW3D to keep my CAD and CAM in the same file, and any changes I did in CAD can also change my tool path in CAM.

I'm not here to fight anybody, if I have time, I would spend more time on my project. My intention of my post is just tell everybody here the truth

Re: No posts for lathe

Hi Everyone,

I just joined CNCZone, I am a new channel partner for ZW3D here in North America. I have been reading the comments, most by lapuser. He had some serious issues that I hope are resolved, regardless, I hope he is doing well with whatever software he is now using.

As a new channel partner I can tell everyone that we have a support team here in North America (Canada at the moment) with each person having been in the industry for over 15 years. Any support requirements are addressed in EST time frame, so no more waiting for that 12 hour difference, or 3 day wait (I think a little hyperbole in that remark, anytime I have needed questions answered it has been almost immediate (given time differences). Anyway, licenses will also be provided within a short time after purchase. No more 24 hour wait.

So if you have any questions you now know where to send them. Home -ZW3DNA-ZW3DNA

Re: ZW3D Should I buy Pro's & Cons.

In regards to ZW3D. I have been using VX (renamed to ZW3D) since version 7. I am up to date on the latest version 2014sp.

I have not done much in the CAD side of the program. I have done LOTS of fixing imported files. It will handle any bad geometry I can throw at it. It is very good for a job shop that has a lot of mold or surfacing work to do.

The CNC side is very nice and the new Chinese owners have done great improvements.

The cons... It is not an intuitive program at all. There is a lack of training and tutorials available. There are few people using it and you will be using it alone. There is nothing intuitive about the CNC interface.

The pros... It is affordable. The modelling capabilities are very good, very solid, and very high end. The CNC side is very good.

If you are a one man shop you can't beat the price and it does everything I need it. That being said be prepared to spend a lot of time learning all the little ins and outs of the commands because the new owners are still learning. Their forums are getting better so there's help available easier now that when I started. If I had unlimited funds I would go with something else but the capabilities in another main stream CAD CAM package easily approaches the $20,000 range for what ZW is doing for $5000.

I will be keeping updated with the latest release. The past 2 years has seen more improvements than the previous 10 years.

Thanks Warren!

A well thought out and cogent review, I couldn't agree with you more.

In fact I am in discussions with my channel manager to address the interface. It does need a more intuitive workflow to make it more usable to anyone needing to get on top of the features of the program in a reasonable time frame. However, modifying the software takes time and so we are also focusing on providing more training modules in English.

If you have any suggestions in that regard, please feel free to PM me at any time.

By the way, the 2015 version is now available.

Hi,

I have been using ZW3d 2010 version and really like it. I have thought about updating several times but there has been such a mix of reviews that I have just held off as what I have works. Maybe I will reconsider if the latest versions really work and there is a return of support.

Robert

Page 2 of 2 12