586,000 active members*
4,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > HAAS SL-20 TURRET PROBLEM HELP

HAAS SL-20 TURRET PROBLEM HELP

ok some im new to this website just signed up 5 mins ago.

ive been a machinist for 2 years now so im still new into the trade, we have a HAAS SL-20 lathe and im the only one right now at work that knows how to use it. (barely) anyway the problem im having is when i power up the machine it goes to machine zero and goes to index the turret but when it goes to lock the turrent the turret is off about an inch and a alarm comes up turret loc failure. the little nipple where the coolant comes out isnt locked into the hole its saposed to do. it has enough air pressure(110 psi going to it) i dont know what to look for behind the machine to see whats causing the problem. if anyone knows anything that can help me please let me know.

thanks

-matt

Sounds like the turret has taken a hit and is out of time. You need to turn on the invisable axis (A) and move the turret to the correct position. There's a coupler that you need to loosen. I have a PDF of the service manual, but it's 70megs. I don't know if you can get it from Haas or not. But there is a proceedure in there on how to retime the turret.

the alarm im getting 114 turret lock failure

You have to understand that alarms are not necessarily a complete diagnostic of the problem, but might be the end result of a chain of events.

As PBMW tried to inform you, the fact that the turret is not in position is what is preventing it from moving into final engagement of the coupling, and all the controller knows is that no feedback was received from any switch indicating that the turret had settled into its clamped position.

IOW, there is no 'turret lock', in a literal sense, because it is a condition of the turret and not a device in the turret.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Sounds like the turret has taken a hit and is out of time. You need to turn on the invisable axis (A) and move the turret to the correct position. There's a coupler that you need to loosen. I have a PDF of the service manual, but it's 70megs. I don't know if you can get it from Haas or not. But there is a proceedure in there on how to retime the turret.
    do you think you could email me the service manual? my email is [email protected]

I had the same problem on my HAAS HL1BB (basically an SL20) after I installed my Integrex. As it turns out, the Integrex forced my compressor to run all the time, and my moisture drains and traps couldn't keep up. I ended up with a turret that was slow to rotate, adn eventually it would not move fast enough to index before timing out. I pulled the air lines off the cylinder, blew everything out and all worked just fine again.

I added a screw compressor with a dryer to solve the moisture issues in the Pacific NorthWet.

stu

Allmotormatt
    I have tried to email this file. It is 70 megs and will not go through.
    I got it from the Haas site. It is there and you can down load it.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    I got it from the Haas site. It is there and you can down load it.
    A service manual? Do you have a link to the file location on the Haas site?
    Greg

No, but if you go there I'm sure you can find it.....
    I got it there about eight months ago.

Nope, I can't find it. I know where all of the operator manuals are but they don't have any service data there. Are you accessed through the 'portal'? That might give you more access than the average Joe cuz I can't see it.
    Greg

Smile Turret Failure

If you take off the white pannel behind the lathe..<6 screws> you will see 2
    solenoid valves. One is for the parts catcher and the other is for the lock/unlock on the tool turret. On the end of the solenoid is a manual button that you can use a small pin punch to actuate the solenoid. This takes 2 people....one to watch and one actuate the valve. Only do this if your tool turret is lined up...what it will tell you is if the solenoid has gone out or if it is something else. Haas only sells the whole valve at 400 or so....but you can buy the solenoids for 10 bucks each. Over the last 8 years...I have changed solenoids about 12 times. It starts with a turret lock failure. I Take the cover off...have someone watch while I manually actuate valve, and then if it works manually...I will replace solenoid. The same valve the came from hass is on the machine. For some reason it burns out the solenoids. Don't know why.

Good Luck with yours..

Could somebody send me the the service manual for SL10 lathe in email??
    my email is: [email protected]

thanks,

szilard