584,837 active members*
5,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > (ALARM 414 SERVO ALARM) Y-AXIS DETECT ERROR?
Page 1 of 2 12

Angry (ALARM 414 SERVO ALARM) Y-AXIS DETECT ERROR?

HELLO ZONERS,
    I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY LEADWELL. IT HAS A FANUC 18-M CONTROL AND ABOUT THREE TO FOUR TIMES A DAY I GET AN ALARM. IT IS A PAIN IN THE CROTCH, BECAUSE I HAVE TO SHUT THE MACHINE OFF AT THE CONTROL AND AT THE MAIN TO GET IT TO CLEAR. THE ALARM IS A (414 SERVO ALARM Y AXIS DETECT ERROR) AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CAUSE COULD BE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS TO HELP ME OUT, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
    THANKS,
    BRIAN PICMAN
    "NEVER LOOK A BOUNTY HUNTER IN THE EYES"

Since the alarm is not constantly on then there is probably a bad connection. I would start by checking the connections on the Fanuc drives. Shut the machine off, open the electrical and make sure all the cables and boards are pushed into the drives properly.

Servo alarm

You need to open the control cabnet without shuting power off and read the # code on drive that is alarming out and we can go from there. I could be as easy as a fan shutting down to a bad drive

1st off, caps is considered yelling just a FYI. Now on to your problem.. that is a feedback error, or a disconnection condition between the motor and the drive. I would find the Y axis motor, if it's under one of the way covers, inspect the cover for leaking and damage. You could have coolant in the motor/encoder/connector on the motor. If the Y axis cable is under a coolant puddle, the coolant can soak right through the cable and saturate it, causing resistance between lines. Otherwise, follow the first reply.

I WILL TRY ALL OF THE ABOVE. I AM YELLING THROUGH FRUSTRATION. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated..

Trust me, that I can understand !

The 414 alarm is like a Check Engine light in a car. This fault can be due to any of the reasons the other posters mentioned plus many more. You can go to DGN 200 and 201 on the DGNOS page (off of the SYSTEM hard key) and record the bit pattern for the Y axis when the fault is present. This will give us an idea of which way to go. The definitions of these bits is contained in the 16/18-i CNC Maint manual, if you have it. If not, let us know what you see and we can provide guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2149 View Post
    The 414 alarm is like a Check Engine light in a car. This fault can be due to any of the reasons the other posters mentioned plus many more. You can go to DGN 200 and 201 on the DGNOS page (off of the SYSTEM hard key) and record the bit pattern for the Y axis when the fault is present. This will give us an idea of which way to go. The definitions of these bits is contained in the 16/18-i CNC Maint manual, if you have it. If not, let us know what you see and we can provide guidance.
    Good analogy !

By chance the alarm hasn't happened since this morning. I suppose the machine gods are smiling down upon me.

Same problem on Mori Seiki SL-25y

I too have been having trouble with the 414 error. It has been a minor(major) annoyance since we got the machine in 1998.

It occurs in spells for a week or so and then it dissapears for maybe a year.

Sometimes we get some relief by cleaning the cabinet filter screen and sometimes nothing we do makes any difference.

We have had service engineers try and solve the problem by adding a resistor on the y axis brake to soften the engagement, but with no help.

The problem normally seems to begin at the beginning of summer and will last for a little while and then magically dissapear.

414 alarm! Finn Power Turret

I have been running a finn power turret made in 1997, a5 20 fb, we get this alarm a lot when closing tool loading door. Finn service guy was just here and says its the encoder in the x and y axis motors? I dont think this is the case, we only get alarm when closing door, and its intermittent. Alarm is a pain, requires shutting machine down and restarting!

I have had a similar problem on the Leadwell lathe and found the timing belt pulley teeth on the encoder drives were worn. I think this caused the signal to vary which gave rise to the alarm. have changed pulleys and will try it out on Monday. hope tis may help

Its got to be a prox switch on the door....

Check diagnostic 200 when the alarm appears.
    The appropriate diagnostic will change 0=>1 indicating the type of detect error.
    Most common is OVC and HCA.

For OVC: check motor condition and insulation (megger required). If the machine is a horizontal machining centre, then it is a good idea to check the operation of the Y-axis brake and the counter balance (weight or hydraulic cylinder).

For HCA: check the alarm on the drive (keep the magnetics cabinet doors open with power on)
    Motor power cable, connector or drive fault.
    If you have technical help, you can also swap the power, command and feedback cables on the drive with the alternate axis (X?) if both axis motors are the same size. The fault might change to alm 414 X-axis detect error after swapping cabling: proving fault on drive.

For other condition on the diagnostic 200, please post a new reply.

Good luck!

Hi,
    Some months ago i had the same problem with my FANUC O-M, when i turn on the machine appeared the 414 in axis Y, 424 in axis X and 434 in axis Z alarms, first i thing the problem are in the servo amplifier modul, but the solution was the parameters, in the part with minus, all are changed, and the controll work, chek the parameter list, maybe this is the problem.

i hope i have helped.

414 Axis Detect Err

I've been having the same problem with a Fanuc 16m control. We get both the 'X' and 'Y' axis reporting 414 axis dectect err. The problem is intermittent, we worked on it for a couple of weeks about 5 months ago, and it disappeared. Now it's back. It will sometimes run for hours and other times just minutes. Parameter 200 bit 4 (HCA) is set to 1 for both 'X' and 'Y', Parameter 201 bit 4 (EXP) is also set to 1 for both 'X' and 'Y'. Both servo drives display '8'.

We have swapped drives, motors, cables, retightened grounds and cursed at the moon! Nothing seems to get it going.

Where do we go from here?

Thanks!

Re: 414 Axis Detect Err

The Alarm 8 problem originates from the Fanuc servo amplifier and normally it occurs because of its internal components failure rather than any mechanical failure on the axis. I have solved many such problems before and therefore, telling with conviction!

Quote Originally Posted by sansgp View Post
    The Alarm 8 problem originates from the Fanuc servo amplifier and normally it occurs because of its internal components failure rather than any mechanical failure on the axis. I have solved many such problems before and therefore, telling with conviction!
    Is this the axis amplifier or the power source?

axis amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by sansgp View Post
    axis amplifier
    I had a service tech put a new one in and he had the same fault. he thinks it might be a mechanical issues. I have checked the ball screw and ways everything looks and moves well. I wish I had the amplifier so I can see what happens for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12