585,932 active members*
3,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 12 1234
    Respectfully teasing, and with a touch of jealousy (from my end anyway).

But that humidity is a machine killer too, I have 60% to 80% humidity here with tropical heat thrown in, that's why I get surface rust. It's got nothing to do with the fact that I don't clean and lube them enough... No no it's the humidity I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    CarveOne

If you need a lub,anti rust, try this on your machines or anything you want to use it on,Even for cutting/tapping it works quite well, This will solve your humidity problems on your machines, The humidity is not to bad here in TN

INOX Lube: inox-mx3 Multipurpose, Non-Toxic Lubricant
    I don't recall seeing that one around here. I usually just get a light film of rust patina and clean it off when I see it, then apply pure carnuba wax. That takes care of it until the next time high humidity and below freezing temps occur again. A severe case happened a couple of weeks ago when I had to raise the garage door during one of those days. Next morning there was a layer of water on all of the cold metal. Painted metal had none on it. The garage door seal strips do a pretty good job of keeping moisture out otherwise.

I'll admit that I'm not fastidious in cleaning mine as you appear to be, but it's clean when I start working with it. From there it just goes down hill until I'm finished with it and it gets another cleaning.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

RomanLini

That's high humidity, were in Australia are you,I lived there for a while, You can get the ( Inox ) in Australia it's made there I think, this will protect your machines from the humidity & the rust monster, it's a great product
    Mactec54

Main Base Frame support rails are finished machined, The next parts will be the End Frames, These pieces will be attached to End Frame supports
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Main Frame Railes-2 Complete.jpg  
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec54 I'm in the north east hot wet part of Australia (where all the tropical flooding is right now) about 4 hours north of Brisbane QLD.

I've got Inox, it's a good product, and I like their Lanox too, it's got Lanolin in so it leaves a fine grease layer.

But the humidity still gets through the fine oil or grease layer unless you keep applying it, what I do is rub a decent smear of Vaseline on my small lathe and mill, it's cheap and clean and doesn't smell, and it makes a thick enough layer to provide the oxygen barrier. There's still some permanent fine rust though, it's almost impossible to get rid of once it's there. And it gets there.

RomanLini

You sure have had it rough up there, I have be up as far as Cairns & did the great Barrier Reef, Bundaberg,Brisbane,Worked in Sydney for a while, Hope the water don't make it to your place
    Mactec54

A little more progress, the End Support Frames, have most of the holes that are needed
    & the basic shape that they well be

The photos of (1) End Frame in place, & Dowel Pins in place ready for other end Frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails End Support Frame Being Machined.jpg   End Frame mounted on Support Rails.jpg  
    Mactec54

More photos of the Base Frame together, Here you can see the mounting of the Hiwin Linear Rail, & the temporary assembly of the Base frame, more machining is needed to complete the Base Frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails End Shot Base Frame Together.jpg   Front Shot Base Frame Together.jpg  
    Mactec54

Do I actually see metal chips in that pic or is my computer screen really dirty LoL (wedge)

Looking really good

archer3d

Great work. I wish I had access to your tooling (and skill!) for my build

Very nice build MacT. Looking foward to the rest of your build. It should be very solid and hold a good tolerance when your done.
    Joe

archer3d

Because everyone seemed to have a problem with no chips in the photo's, I left some there for that photo, But when you are changing parts all the time it's easier to just keep it clear of chips
    Mactec54

giz

Thanks for your comments

Depending how this one works out, there is other machine's that I will be building as well, There seem's to be a need for a better built machine at a reasonable cost

I have a design for a cheaper build as well, which will be started soon as well
    Mactec54

wantacnc

Thank's for your comment on the build

The design was to have the base similar to a torsion box, without a bottom skin, parts placement so far is better then .0005

The base of any machine is the most important part of a build, So I'm trying to make sure we get it right
    Mactec54

Mactech, thanks for showing what can be done *without* CNC!

-Jim Hart
    My main machine: Multicam MG series (MG101) with original Extratech H971 controller, Minarik servo motors, Electro-Craft BRU-series drives, 4KW Colombo. Let's talk Multicam!

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    giz

Thanks for your comments

Depending how this one works out, there is other machine's that I will be building as well, There seem's to be a need for a better built machine at a reasonable cost

I have a design for a cheaper build as well, which will be started soon as well
    Do you mind taking a look at my build log? I have seen you advocating the DMM Tech servos in several threads, and I plan to use them in my build. I'd like to get your thoughts!

It seems your manual milling idea was a good one afterall. Did you determine what the Z clearance will be. Will there be a possibility of a coolent addition if one wanted?

Today I started Milling the table T-Slots, Here is some setup information for the Table, The first was to machine one face, Then I used a Edge Finder to pick up that Edge of the Table, I then moved the Mill Table the amount needed for the first T-Slot, A Slot was Milled to the full depth needed for the T-Slot, The T-Slot Cutter was then setup,& the Slot was cut, The next thing to do was to Chamfer the Slot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milling First Face-1.jpg   Using  Edge Finder First Edge to T-Slot-2.jpg   Mill Slot-3.jpg   Cut T-Slot-4.jpg  

Mill Chamfer-5.jpg  
    Mactec54

giz

The Dmm servo system is an excellent choice, & would be very good for your machine build, we have to look at one thing, I think you will need 6 axes Bob I will check out you build

sconklin

The Z axes will have 6.5" Travel, around 7'' under the Gantry

My idea is to use the Manual Mill as much as I can for this build, as I think most Zone members, can relate to a manual machine that you turn a handle to cut a part a lot better than a CNC machine, This is the starting point on how, a basic machine, can do anything if you have the time
    Mactec54

Talking

Mactec54

Great build!! I am always amazed at the machinist skill on this web site. Would you ever consider machig a tslot table for some one else? I have been on the hunt for one for a while now and havent found anything I like yet. I saw yours and its exactly what I need!!

if not no big deal just thought i woud ask

Page 2 of 12 1234