584,830 active members*
5,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 12 2101112
    kevincnc

I saw your post before, with your spindle rebuild, I have just repaired one made new parts for it that was messed up, its a 2.2Kw, there are so many different manufactures that make them, some are well built, some are junk, the outside of these spindles is just a piece of tubing, if you look at your photos you will see it, so are easy to mess up if clamped in the wrong place

They are not designed to cut aluminum, the 2 front bearing both face the same way, & are preloaded by a spring & the bearing at the back, the whole spindle can float down a small amount if being used incorrect

If you use them for aluminum you should only expect do light cutting
    Mactec54

Mactech54,

Your build is very inspirational. I envy your attention to detail. It reminds me to take a bit more time and care on my own projects.

Thanks for posting your work. I am looking forward to seeing your machine once it's finished.

James
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

Introduction

Hello all,
    I would like to introduce myself, my name is Chuck and I have plans to build a CNC router to build guitars. I am totally new to building a CNC machine and I am totally confused. I think a machine with a flying gantry and 36 inches for the X axis and 36 inches for the Y axis and 5-6 inches for the Z axis should cover everything.
    I am confused on what to use for the lead screws or ball screws. I am hoping I can build it for about $2,000, is that possible??? I found a NEMA 34 motor system for about $700 with 400ozin(X and Y) and 1150ozin(Z) and a USB interface. Maybe a aluminum extruded frame and stand? What would work as far as bearing on the ends of the screws and the sliding nuts. I am also buying what ever tools I think I will need. Software is no issue and is down the line, I am focusing on the screws right now which is the heart of the machine.
    Any help from the forum would be great.
    Thank you VERY much
    Chuck.
    P. S. burrrrrrrrrr it is COLD!(11 degrees)

Chuck- Welcome, it would be better to start your own thread so that Matec's can stay on topic (look who's talking :nono

Mactec- I thought I pointed out the weird bearing arrangement in my rebuild thread. I probably won't try to cut aluminum until I build my ATC which will have a pair of 7007's in the nose arranged properly.

Chuck

welcome to the Zone, you will get more anwsers if you start a new thread

With what you want to do with this size machine Ballscrews are your best choice
    Mactec54

kevincnc
    I thought I pointed out the weird bearing arrangement in my rebuild thread.

There is nothing weird about the bearing arrangement, this is how high speed spindles are built, even the high cost spindles are built the same way, ( these types anyway )

The bearing placement like this is so the preload, does not cause over heating at high speed, as they do warm up the preload gets less

In a spindle for steel/aluminum Etc, the bearings are Back to Back in the front,This arrangement is only for a (2) bearings in the front of the spindle, what happens is with preloaded bearings like this is, as they warm up the preload gets greater making more heat, so if these spindles are not precisely made, with correct preload, lub Etc, they can not be run at high speeds, without overheating, precisely made means high cost
    Mactec54

jharvey407

Thanks for you interest & comments

I build many types of machines & production jobs,so this build now only get a little of my time, but will get more posted on it as it gets near to completion
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    kevincnc
    I thought I pointed out the weird bearing arrangement in my rebuild thread.

There is nothing weird about the bearing arrangement, this is how high speed spindles are built, even the high cost spindles are built the same way, ( these types anyway )

The bearing placement like this is so the preload, does not cause over heating at high speed, as they do warm up the preload gets less

In a spindle for steel/aluminum Etc, the bearings are Back to Back in the front,This arrangement is only for a (2) bearings in the front of the spindle, what happens is with preloaded bearings like this is, as they warm up the preload gets greater making more heat, so if these spindles are not precisely made, with correct preload, lub Etc, they can not be run at high speeds, without overheating, precisely made means high cost
    Interesting, I thought the the front bearings facing the same way was just a cheap way to build the spindle with less precision bearings. I guess I was remembering discussing the bearing arrangement at work with other ME's and didn't mention it in my thread. None of them had ever seen that arrangement either, but not many people including myself have ever designed a high-speed spindle. For me just heavy duty shaper spindles that only needed to run up to 10k RPM or so. For my ATC I bought a matched pair of SKF bearings (real ones I think) that are rated over 24k RPM, and I want to be able to use full spindle speed. I will run the coolant circuit around them so I hope heat isn't a problem. I was planning on modifying the spindle to allow for thermal expansion of my assembly. Maybe I could run my design by you before building it?

Question: You said that preload decreases on these spindles as the temp. increases. I assumed that the rotor would get hotter and expand more than the housing which would compress the spring washers more, increasing the preload. Does the housing expand more than the rotor because it's mostly aluminum? it seems that most people don't see much of a temp rise in the coolant.

Again I will ask for pictures of some of your other machines! If you can't post customer pictures I understand.

kevincnc

The springs are behind the bearings, in your case, at the top of your spindle, so as everything expands,& grows in length it gets very slightly less preload on the front bearings, because the top Bearing moves up with the rotor,away from the spring the spring & backup washers will expand as well but not quite as much as the rotor

They expand more on the inside than the outside,the water cooling keeps the outside cooler so not as much expansion happening there

As for photos I do have one build in progress with a 60" gantry that I may post, but most of my work is for customers
    Mactec54

Sorry, I was being stupid and remembering the springs on the other side of the bearing. Embarassing, that would make no sense. I'll shut up now.

Okay I don't feel so stupid now after re-reading my spindle thread..other than having a bad memory. I'm not old enough to be getting senile. Here is a quote from me-

"I found the design interesting, not what I expected. Although there is pair of angular contact bearings in the front, they are arranged in tandem (facing the same direction) not face-to-face or back-to-back as I expected. So, the spring washers not only preload the rear bearing, they preload the front ones as well. This means that the spindle should be able to take twice the thrust assuming the bearing pair is accurate enough that they really share the load. I guess the downside would be the chance of the spindle jerking down during heavy cutting with a spiral bit. I didn't have a good way to check the preload, but I'm guessing it's enough to prevent that."

kevincnc

Good for doing plunging cuts, not so good for normal side loading cuts, & the spiral upcut cutters can pull the spindle down, Not by much, but at least .010, if you pull down on the spindle you will have some movement
    Mactec54

Is this machine never getting finished ?

Re: CNC Router Build For A Friend

Hello there ! is there any finished pictures of this nice machine!,

Quote Originally Posted by HuguesP View Post
    Hello there ! is there any finished pictures of this nice machine!,
    It went to the owner years ago as far as I know it is still doing fine work, I never completed the build on the Zone as I ran out of time, posting and running 2 businesses at the same time was hard to do, there was some information on the complete machine on another web site but that closed down and I was not able to retrieve anything from it, I did have the whole build on a computer which failed not long after that build was complete so don't have much to show but what is on this thread, I do have a new build that I may post about, now that I have a little more time, I'm keeping separate drives with any of this work I do now so if there is a problem I have a backup of the Backup, up until that computer loss I had had very good luck with computers, I even tried to go in the backdoor of the hard drive to retrieve files but it was too messed up to do anything with

Here is another build I did of a spindle at about the same time for a customer https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...dle-build.html
    Mactec54

Thanks ,

More interested in the machine, as I will never do my own spindle. My half 3d printed machine and hitachi router has is limitation, I need to upgrade if I wanna do bigger parts/ more complex.

Thanks ,

More interested in the machine, as I will never do my own spindle. My half 3d printed machine and hitachi router has is limitation, I need to upgrade if I wanna do bigger parts/ more complex.
    I may do another one a little bigger than that using a similar construction, say 25" x 25" so it can do a full 24" x24" sheet, it may have a steel main frame though
    Mactec54

Waiting for this to copy the design, hopefully it won't have moving Z rails as i found them to create clerance issue of the gantry and cutting plane

Waiting for this to copy the design, hopefully it won't have moving Z rails as i found them to create clerance issue of the gantry and cutting plane
    I have a whole new Design for Z axes but still has moving rails that don't cause any clearance problems
    Mactec54

Page 12 of 12 2101112