584,798 active members*
4,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arrow 1000 Spindle Drive

Hello all,
    I am looking for some help in getting my Arrow 1000 up and going. I am doing a LinuxCNC retrofit with Mesa Cards to interface with the machine wiring. I have the axes moving and I am a little stuck on the spindle. I can get the drive to enable but it acts a little funny. The first command that I give it, it spins up about 100rpm and then moves to the commanded speed. It also tries to snap from rpm to rpm and if the jump is too great, it faults out the drive. From what I understand the VFS5/BDS5 drive is pretty much like an axis drive in the way it behaves. I am working to get a "soft start" done in LinuxCNC through ramping codes that modify the signal to help with the instantaneous response from the drive. Is there another way to get the drive to ramp a little more sensible to avoid the faulting? BTW, I am running this off of an 20HP RPC and the video below shows that the voltages are not dropping significantly as the spindle ramps up in the commanded RPMs. I may be overly optimistic about the voltages, correct me if I am wrong. :drowning:
    https://youtu.be/OE303h25RRI

Re: Arrow 1000 Spindle Drive

You need to get Motion Link software from Kilroy corporation (937-510-1074) and access the RS232 port on the spindle drive to see what the drive is faulting on. Let me know how the retrofit is going, I am interested. You also need to check your grounds. It looks like a voltage problem, get a good Fluke meter to see the voltage drop at start up

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    You need to get Motion Link software from Kilroy corporation (937-510-1074) and access the RS232 port on the spindle drive to see what the drive is faulting on. Let me know how the retrofit is going, I am interested. You also need to check your grounds. It looks like a voltage problem, get a good Fluke meter to see the voltage drop at start up

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services
    I sent him an email. I did some searching on the kollmorgen site and it seems I may have found the software. Is it motionlink plus? I will also look at the grounds to see if I have problems there as well. I seem to remember reading in the BDS5/VFS5 manual that different ramp profiles can be programmed in the drive. Is there any truth to that and how involved is the modification? I definitely don't want to lock the drive up by giving it faulty parameters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why don't you just call them?? I would not mess with any of the settings in the spindle drive. Did you get a meter and check the voltage drop?? Is it a rotary phase converter or a electronic converter, it makes a big difference. You should be able to use the motion link + to see the spindle drive errors.

It is Koll MotionLink Plus & it will run on Win-95-98-XP Win7-32 Bit. Use a 3-wire Null Modem connection. There are 'User Variables' Settings for each of the UK-Products and Gear Ratios and MAX Spindle Speeds. No Clue what you are using this on. The Spindle Cartridge # is 13 digits long 06126xxxxyyyy and is a riveted Tag on the Spindle Flange OD

I ended up doing some diagnostics and going through my RPC and upsizing the feeder wires and it helped with the faulting of the spindle drive.

I am now calibrating the 0-10v signals but is seems like the most i can get out of it is 2k rpms. I noticed in the machine schematics that there is a high/low and wondered if that is why I cannot seem to get past 2k rpms for the 8k spindle.

Thanks for the help, it feels like i am making some progress.

The Arrow machines did not have a gearbox and used a belt drive from motor to spindle.
    Depending on model, vintage and options, there were different motors used but the basic spindle options were 5,000, 6,000, 8,000 or 10,000 RPM. Some of them used a 2:1 belt reduction, for example the "hi-torque" 5,000 RPM spindle used a 10,000 RPM motor with a belt reduction.

I don't know which spindle option your machine has, but you should definitely be able to get at least 5K at spindle.

When the Spindle is run as a Servo for Spindle Orient and Rigid Tapping the Max Speed at +/– 10VDC is 2000 RPM. I do not know what your wiring diagram is (9120xxxxy);
    but it sounds like you are not in Open-Loop Mode for the M3/M4 normal spindle operation.

Thanks for the replies, they have been helpful for my understanding. This is the wiring diagram where it references a "high torque" signal.

Here's the funny thing, the z axis drive was offline yesterday but the other drives would enable. I figured I would press on and see if the spindle would function with the new RPC setup and all was well. This morning I was able to get the z axis drive to enable and it randomly kicks out. It also kicks out when the spindle is exercised. I was thinking that the z axis drive may be a contributor to my problems. Is there a way to troubleshoot it?

I also noticed the one leg was at 238 where the others were at 226, could this also be a contributor to the problem?

Sorry for all the noob questions, I really appreciate the help.

Kollmorgen Drives were designed for WYE (Y-Power) which has a common ground. They do not like unbalanced Delta Power.
    A Delta - to - WYE transformer would solve that.
    The Z-Problem could be caused by a low bus voltage or a Z-Drive error; you could take a slow-motion video of the LEDs on the BDS4 drive when the drive is faulting out to see what turns on 1st.
    See attached files for more.

What inputs are required to get the drive into open loop mode for the normal operations and out of position mode? I tried to leave a the wiring in place and work within the schematic so tracing would be true to the diagrams. I am using the original idc50 input and output cables that came with the machine and they are communicating with the computer via mesa input and output cards to communicate with the rest of the machine.

What does the "remote" and "home" signals do and where do they originate? I was thinking that maybe these signals are needed to get it out of position mode, but I am stabbing in the dark a little there.

I really appreciate the help in getting this thing up and running!!