584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Reversing Tapping head vs Tension/Compression tapping Head

Reversing Tapping head vs Tension/Compression tapping Head

I have never used a tapping head... been taping manually but am thinking about getting one soon. What are the differences between the reversing and tension/Compression tapping heads? Pros and Cons? Which is easier to use? Price seems to be pretty much the same. Thanks!

Ken

Hi Ken,
    I have a tension compression tapping head and the main difference is speed. You can tap a lot faster with the reversing tapping head so if you have a lot of holes to tap the reversing head might be a better choice. The tension compression head requires some simple programming but it is not a big deal. The reversing head also requires a torque arm to prevent the head from spinning. Not a big deal either but something to consider.

Len

The reversing head can also be used on a drill press or manual mill if need be.

I had the same question and after reading on the internet, I believe the tapping head is more forgiving for blind holes thanks to the clutch. So you are less likely to break the cutter due to inprecise rpm or slow acceleration of the spindle. I got a used one a few weeks ago off ebay for less than $100. I tried it manualy on my drill press and it works great.

There was a good discussion of various tapping options in this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...c_tapping.html

bob