585,722 active members*
4,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Truth in Mastercam advertising?
Page 1 of 3 123

Truth in Mastercam advertising?

LOL true and if you followed it since it has been released you would already know this however it does not support multiaxis milling and some other types of toolpaths
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Mastercam for solidworks only available in 32bit? We run l3 Maxis mastercam on 64 windows 7 but we only import solids from solidworks. Like I previously mentioned I dont think their is one single mfg that makes multiaxis machining plugin for Solidworks...maybe 4th axis positioning but not 5 axis + simul.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Mastercam for Solidworks is now 32 and 64

Quote Originally Posted by budgieW View Post
    Mastercam for Solidworks is now 32 and 64
    It will run on a 64 machine but it is not a 64 bit program.

John

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Mastercam for solidworks only available in 32bit? We run l3 Maxis mastercam on 64 windows 7 but we only import solids from solidworks. Like I previously mentioned I dont think their is one single mfg that makes multiaxis machining plugin for Solidworks...maybe 4th axis positioning but not 5 axis + simul.
    http://www.solidcam.com/cam-solution.../features.html

John

I am running the 64 bit version of MC for Solidworks it only runs in the 64 bit version of SW.
    There is a 32 bit version to.

This is new for X5 of MC 4 SW.
    Prior to this you could not run MC 4 SW in the SW 64 bit version.
    MC first move toward 64 bit..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    I am running the 64 bit version of MC for Solidworks it only runs in the 64 bit version of SW.
    There is a 32 bit version to.

This is new for X5 of MC 4 SW.
    Prior to this you could not run MC 4 SW in the SW 64 bit version.
    MC first move toward 64 bit..
    Do you think CNC Software is correct that programming Solidworks parts with Mastercam for Solidworks is "mind blowing" faster than regular Mastercam? Which do you prefer part programming with?

MC will run in a 64 bit system but it is still only a 32 bit software. even X5 is a 32 bit version.
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

MC will run on a 64 bit system but it is still a 32 bit software. X5 is a 32 bit version
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

but the MC for SW is a 64bit not a 32bit they offer a 32bit version to.
    regular MC does not have this option at this time.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

but the MC for SW is a 64bit not a 32bit they offer a 32bit version to.
    regular MC does not have this option at this time.
    Any of the other high end CAM providers still stuck at 32bit?

Oh ya. It pains me to call Mastercam high end. What I mean is expensive..

John

Hey John did you get my call.
    Cadcam

Hey John did you get my call.
    I did. Left early for the weekend. I will call you tomorrow afternoon. EST Renovating the offices right now. What a mess.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJW View Post
    Any of the other high end CAM providers still stuck at 32bit?

Oh ya. It pains me to call Mastercam high end. What I mean is expensive..

John
    Its not expensive, just extremely over valued

This is just my opinion but my experiences with MCam go back a long way, and it has not been good. It seems to me they have on several occasions claimed to have more capabilities than they were actually able to show.

For example back in the mid 90's they claimed to have parametric surface machining, what they actually showed me was the ability to create a 3d toolpath by clicking on the cross sections of a surface (not an actual parametric surface) and then a tool path was created which was nothing more than short line segments, even if the surface was relatively flat. Then you had to use this custom written piece of software called a "C Hook" to pre-post process these straight line segments into a lesser number of straight moves within the user specified tolerance band. They said they definitely had surfaces they just couldn't show me one. I went with another software that could actually show me surfaces and true toolpath based on contact with the parametric surface geometry...

In 2002, out of desperation, I approached them again to enquire about 4 axis machining and again they said, "oh sure they could do it", they just couldn't show me it. What they did show me was a 4 axis toolpath made by taking a 5 axis toolpath with normal vectors and simply changing the vector that was normal to the rotary axis to a vector with a value of 0, 0, 1. This would obvously work if the tool looked like a needle with a diameter of zero and definitely not with bull nose tool geometry.

Based on my limited experiences with MasterCam, it wouldn't surprise me if they claim to be able to do lots things that they can't show you...

Your experience with MCam may differ, but this is my opinion of them and the impression that I was left with...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrliev View Post
    This is just my opinion but my experiences with MCam go back a long way, and it has not been good. It seems to me they have on several occasions claimed to have more capabilities than they were actually able to show.

For example back in the mid 90's they claimed to have parametric surface machining, what they actually showed me was the ability to create a 3d toolpath by clicking on the cross sections of a surface (not an actual parametric surface) and then a tool path was created which was nothing more than short line segments, even if the surface was relatively flat. Then you had to use this custom written piece of software called a "C Hook" to pre-post process these straight line segments into a lesser number of straight moves within the user specified tolerance band. They said they definitely had surfaces they just couldn't show me one. I went with another software that could actually show me surfaces and true toolpath based on contact with the parametric surface geometry...

In 2002, out of desperation, I approached them again to enquire about 4 axis machining and again they said, "oh sure they could do it", they just couldn't show me it. What they did show me was a 4 axis toolpath made by taking a 5 axis toolpath with normal vectors and simply changing the vector that was normal to the rotary axis to a vector with a value of 0, 0, 1. This would obvously work if the tool looked like a needle with a diameter of zero and definitely not with bull nose tool geometry.

Based on my limited experiences with MasterCam, it wouldn't surprise me if they claim to be able to do lots things that they can't show you...

Your experience with MCam may differ, but this is my opinion of them and the impression that I was left with...
    It might very well work for the developer because he wrote the code and knows correct postion for his tonque when selecting geometery. Then it worked twice, heck this must be release code, time for lunch!

Do you think CNC Software is correct that programming Solidworks parts with Mastercam for Solidworks is "mind blowing" faster than regular Mastercam? Which do you prefer part programming with?
    Applying toolpaths in Mastercam for SolidWorks is the same as applying toolpaths in Mastercam, it is all of the same toolpaths.

The difference is that you are working the SolidWorks environment, so you have all of the geometry creation power of SolidWorks, and the much better user interaction that SolidWorks provides.

Mastercam for SolidWorks does not yet offer all of the "Power features" of a full seat of Mastercam, so it will not be as useful to a high end Machine Shop, using Multi-tasking Machines, however, I would highly recommend it for Shops that are using SolidWorks and just need to make parts quickly on a vertical Machine.

It will be great in a prototyping environment, especially if you know SolidWorks, but do no know Mastercam, the learning curve will be much quicker than a full seat of Mastercam.

We have just released a sneak preview of our new Mastercam for SolidWorks Tutorial

Mastercam Training Online

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Goodwin View Post
    Applying toolpaths in Mastercam for SolidWorks is the same as applying toolpaths in Mastercam, it is all of the same toolpaths.

The difference is that you are working the SolidWorks environment, so you have all of the geometry creation power of SolidWorks, and the much better user interaction that SolidWorks provides.

Mastercam for SolidWorks does not yet offer all of the "Power features" of a full seat of Mastercam, so it will not be as useful to a high end Machine Shop, using Multi-tasking Machines, however, I would highly recommend it for Shops that are using SolidWorks and just need to make parts quickly on a vertical Machine.

It will be great in a prototyping environment, especially if you know SolidWorks, but do no know Mastercam, the learning curve will be much quicker than a full seat of Mastercam.

We have just released a sneak preview of our new Mastercam for SolidWorks Tutorial

Mastercam Training Online
    There sea to be a real difference of opinion between the end users of Mastercam and the people who sell books and training. I wonder why that could be???

Do you have to buy the full version of Mastercam at full price and pay maintenance for every seat of every person who works on these training books and DVD/websites?

John

John

Page 1 of 3 123