585,894 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Home built Vs Shopbot Alpha

Hey everyone. I just found this website today, and wow! it's awesome! I'm a professional woodworker, and am curious about how a home built machine would stack up against a shopbot Alpha? Is it possible to build a machine at home that would meet or exceed it's specs? what would it cost? I envision something with at least a Router or spindle and a Drill head.

Is it possible to send Gcode from something such as Microvellum or Cabinetvision to Mach3 or Linux? Thanks for any insight...

Gary

The easiest way would be to build a MechMate. Depending on options, should be between $5000-$10000, depending on spindle and drill head cost. You'll probably need to do some modifications to add a drill head.
    MechMate CNC Router - Build your own with our detailed plans

If you want to design your own SB knockoff, it'll probably cost a bit more, but should still be around half the cost of an Alpha.

Have you ever used Microvellum or CV? Both will set you back over $20K if you want to get g-code out of them. And neither is easy to learn. I've heard Microvellum is probably the most difficult package to learn.

As for getting Mach3 code out of them, I would think so, but you'd really need to check with them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think the best bang for the buck is a used shopbot. They hold their value on the used market, but if and when you want to get rid of it and upgrade, you can get most of your money back.

The prt shopbot is weaker than the mechmate.
    The prs shopbot is a very nice unit.

If you are a diy person and are not worried about resale value, the mechmate is a good design and will save you lots of money. The mechmate's I have seen for sale, have not had good resale value compared to a 'bot.

Either machine will accept G code.

all,
    Thanks for the info on MechMate, I will look into them. As far as CV and MV, I've used CV some, and I'm an expert at MV, been using it full time for 7 years....it is a very difficult program, the hardest I've learned by far, but has great potential once you get past the curve.

My vote is for the Mechmate but I might be biased. But to be truthful do you have the skills, time to build and research the project? Do you have projects that need to go out the door right now? Do you have the cash to purchase the machine?

If there is no need for the machine then I would build. If there is a need for it the cash is there I would purchase a Shopbot. I just dont want you to fall into the category that buys and looses their business trying to support a machine that was never need and couldn't afford.

Here is a video of mine cutting yesterday. I was taking it slow because this was my first full size sheet being cut. Learned a little yesterday.

Cutting is done at 300ipm. Table can rapid at 1,500ipm so I can speed it up some.

Regnar,
    That is awesome! I think I read you're built thread yesterday. How did you hold those parts down? Was that a Down cut bit? Were 4 passes really necessary? Thanks for any insight!

Gary

CAMaster Cobra Series CNC Router Options

I have a older PR shopbot, works well but slow. SB software is very easy to learn. One day I will be building a Mechmate...a far better machine IMHO than the newer bots...spend some time on the bot forum and you will find lots of threads about how the newer design isn't as good as the older alpha machines, not as rigid.

Take a look at the camaster, the x3 comes with a cabinet package...3 heads with indexer space on the side.

I suggest you spend time on Vectric, Shopbot, Camheads, Mechmate and this forum to start learning all you can. The info will be overwhelming but with time it will seep in....oh there is also a good cnc forum on woodweb.com...lots of good info from industrial shops.

If and when you get a machine....expect a minimum learning curve of 6 months before you are running full production mode. One more thing about shopbots for cabinet production.....they have a e-cabs link.

This all comes from a guy in the desert in Mexico with a scant 1.5 yrs of cnc experience...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0284.jpg   Mirror Frame.jpg   door 2.jpg