585,744 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Breaks in Chain and other pocketing problems

Breaks in Chain and other pocketing problems

First of all I am not a cadcam operator but a designer that uses Bobcad 20, (one of the mold makers we utilize gave me a bobcad seat), to check my files for problems. Most of the designs have a lot of stylized arcs and shapes and various types of custom fonts that have to be pocketed out. My main problem is that I will highlight a chain and it will all highlight but there may be a minute tiny break in the chain or an intersecting line that is very difficult to find.

I would think that Bobcad or similar software would be able to position a pointer or some sort of color change at the broken link- SOMETHING to make it more user friendly. Is there something I am missing, something I can do to make the process easier.

Thanks in advance

This might work: if the entire chain selects now, even when there is a gap, then it must be jumping the gap, or else it would stop at the break. Try setting your chain gap setting to zero.

Take note that if you are offsetting chains consisting of non-tangent arcs, that small gaps and overlaps will result. This is a common problem with artwork, and certain Windows fonts that only "look good" but are not mathematically correct profiles with coincident endpoints for all entities in a chain.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung
    This might work: if the entire chain selects now, even when there is a gap, then it must be jumping the gap, or else it would stop at the break. Try setting your chain gap setting to zero.

Take note that if you are offsetting chains consisting of non-tangent arcs, that small gaps and overlaps will result. This is a common problem with artwork, and certain Windows fonts that only "look good" but are not mathematically correct profiles with coincident endpoints for all entities in a chain.
    Thanks. I will try doing that. I am not sure if bobcad has a chain gap setting but I will check that out Monday when I get to work- I do know that sometimes I can get things to pocket that wouldn't previously by playing around with cutter sizes.