502,297 active members
5,617 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 11 1234
    Registered
    How hard would it be to set this race car up to vibrate and tilt? Bumps in the road ya know. And a horn that goes beep beep? I would like mine to look like an RV or a bus. Always wondered what it would be like to tear up the streets in a big yellow.
    If you have and don't use it, you still have it.

Registered
    There was an ad in 'SportsCar', the SCCA's publication (I think, or it might have been Grass Roots Motorsports) for one of these made from welded tubing and made to fit a real Sparco racing seat- cutting out the hassle of designing the seat, and getting a more authentic feel- particularly if that's the SAME seat the user drives in their car. I'll scan it tonight and post if I remeber.

I also saw some sparco knock-off's at AutoZone for $150. Might be something to look at rather than fabbing something that could be mass-produced in Taiwan.

www.joescnc.com
    I will toy around with the design and see what i can come up with in acad and solidworks.

Joe

Registered
    (1) Ger21: "I think the main reason I answer so many questions here, is that....." Gerry, I don't know if you realise just how much you do help people. I'm indebted to you for the AutoCAD help (both directly and indirectly) I've gotten from you over time.

(2) Ger21: "I think you could possibly make more selling plans, then just cutting and assembly services"
    Now rarely will I dispute you opinion but on this occasion I'm going to. Why? Because people like you judge others to have more or less the same abilities and mentality as yourselves. You are thinking that others will be able to make something like this in their garage and also get a good finish on it afterwards like what you and I and most of the others at this forum would be able to. I disagree. I think the money is in the 12 - 40 year olds who would rather pay and spend their time racing. For every person like us (who can read plans, cut, drill, finish, paint, stickers), I'm guessing there would be 100 who can't but have the money to buy it as a painted, ready-to-assemble kit. Think of how many 12 - 18y.o. are out there who's parents are only too happy to buy the latest "must have" for their darling hmm - hmm.... Not only that but I'd reckon that if you (Gerry) wanted to build one of these, you (and most of the others here) wouldn't need someone else's plan to do so as you are well used to designing (which is half the fun for us). I say the above not to dispute but simply to put another view into the ring.

(3) Benny: I recon with a good super low frequency rumble generator fitted behind the seat, it would...... Definately the way to go!

(4) Sporqster: I also saw some sparco knock-off's at AutoZone for $150. Might be something to look at rather than fabbing something that could be mass-produced in Taiwan. This too!

Just get it done before the Chinese have them on the shelf for $20

Hey Benny, one more thought: When your wife comes home each day and here you are in the racing simulator with the volume turned up and you say to her: "Just doing R & D for my work dearest"

I hadnt given much thought to seats and was planing to just make a timber insert into the frame, however for the extra price I expect they would make the Simulator just that much better.
    Here is what I have found http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~APC~t~Sport+Seats

I will toy around with the design and see what i can come up with in acad and solidworks.

Joe
    Go Joe, we are counting on you

Hey Phil.
    1) I probably didn't word that correctly.

2) I did say "possibly"
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    make it like ikea.. use untra-cheap pressboard, and that edging tape\plastic stuff... it can look nice, and maybe cost $150.. in fact, it may be entirely logical..

benny... how is the machine going? whats the latest? what sorta jobs do you do now with it? is it paying for itself?

whats the low-down?

robert.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Registered
    Benny, looks like fun. Sorry, I can't help you. Too busy on my own projects. Have you seen the aircraft simulators? Kind of the same premise.
    Here's a site with some links.
    http://a.webring.com/hub?ring=cockpits

Registered
    Hey Benny,
    Got a mate with one of those sims, I too have been keen to cut some out omy router so I spent some time yesterday drawing one up ,although not yet finished will be soon.
    Only problem is my router is 1500 X 1500 and the sides are 1700 long, have to cut the sides on an angle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SimStyle1.JPG  

Well Jonathon, why dont you email me the parts as dxf and let me cut them too.

I went down to a local computer shop yesterday and got some measurements.

My machine will look different, however I did need a general idea of sizes so as to give me a start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails measurments2.jpg   measurments.jpg   seat.jpg  

Registered
    Will do, Just got to convert to DXF's.
    Yeah the one i copied is a variant of the one you have measured, it doesnt have the hinge, maybe I should incorperate this as it would make the side parts smaller.

Some more pics, and my pathetic attempt at a redesign
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP03465.JPG   DCP03469.JPG   DCP03470.JPG   DCP03471.JPG   Clipboard.gif  

Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 11 1234