584,857 active members*
4,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Wooden Clocks > MDF Racing car simulator project.
Page 4 of 7 23456
    Should we consider these things ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suggestions.jpg  

I think the monitor table would be pretty neat, especially if it was easily removable.

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    I dont know If I agree with you Tiger. Did you consider the wheel will stick out from the desk by close to 30cm ?
    I considered that, but mentioned it anyway since all the wheel controllers I've seen are pretty close coupled. I have no idea what controller you would be using, but the one's I've seen illustrated have the wheel virtually right on the console front and the console is very shallow fore and aft, barely deep enough to be stable when the whole thing is sitting on a surface. I just couldn't see how the foot of distance could be absorbed by the controller.

I wasn't critiquing, just commenting on something I noticed

Tiger

I wasn't critiquing, just commenting on something I noticed
    I never took it in any bad way at all.
    Your input is aways appreciated. Its just that I didnt agree with you

You are correct that the wheel in the picture is almost level with the board. The bolt on wheels that they sell for computers and playstations do stick out further. Because this is going to be a generic racer for all sorts of combinations, we may need to consider an adjustable wheel holder.

When I cut the proto, I guess we will get a better idea of how it all fits around a human body.

Since I like to dream a bit, I'll share a little vision with you. I'm thinking you should keep the spoiler, 1 for general aestetics and 2, I can see hanging some surround sound speakers above or below it and maybe 3 across the wheel console (maybe inside it) with a subwoofer mounted below the seat...droool!!! Talk about immersion, lol. Although...Without the spoiler and finding another method to mount the speakers, and possibly some sort of quick-change wheel console, perhaps you would have yourself a nice little flight simulator too.

Neat project! What was the target price again?
    This might be a little late to bring up, but I have a solid CAD model of an aluminum race seat made from flat sheet stock. If formed in a “box” section coupled with a large bass speaker (aimed into the seat bottom) might offer a low cost “vibration” effect to your simulator.

i moved the whole foot box in 10 cm and the steering wheel plate in some more past that and angled it down a bit.

also changed the side to a new design. i am not real happy with it but i can't find anything i like real well. anybody got ideas? i am trying to get it to match the bottom because it looks good but i am having trouble.

i will throw on a spoiler etc. when i have time and get some dxf files up after all the preliminary changes are done. i don't know if i'll work on it any more tonight, big fluid mechanics test tomorrow, but i'll be back on it tomorrow for sure.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cheet_sim11.jpg  

Matt the sides look much better than the ones I did, and so is the arm rests.
    Lets call it a wrap. Post the dxfs and I'll cut the proto. We can edit from there.

CNCPro, the target price is the cost of the MDF and time that and individual is prepared to put into it. I will be cutting them and selling them locally in Australia. But essentially this is an open source project that any one here can download and cut them selves, if they want to.

here are all the parts.

the clock is ticking my friend!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I opened it up but the scale in metric seems too small, and imperial too big.

If you give me a reference measurement of the steering wheel bench. I will know how much to scale the whole drawing to.

Thanks Matt ( The clock doesnt start untill I get the reference measurement

Actually I will use the original dxf I sent you as a reference. I know that is ok, since I measured that from the one in the shop. (Start the clock)

BTW if you have skype we can voice talk about this project. My number is ynnebbenny

benny

be careful doing that much has changed from the originals.

the dimensions are in millimeters

they are correct in sw and when i open the dxf in sw. i don't know about your program but i have to set the scale when i bring in a dxf. this might be off.

anyway i added a few dimensions for you.

good luck!
    Matt

I have finally doubled up the parts that need to be. Also I have added dado grooves to the sides, and tried a bit of man powered nesting. All will come out of a 1220 x 2440 sheet of 12 mm MDF except for one piece.
    I have run out of daylight hours so I will do the cut first thing my 2morrow morning.
    The dados will be 5mm deep so I have adjusted the width of the joining boards by 10mm. The joins will not be seen from the outside of the racer since they are not cut right through. The dados will help with quick assembly and also strengthen the assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All parts.gif  

Thanks for the files!

Ive made the g-code.
    If any one wants to cut the proto they will need 12mm MDF
    Zero tha machine at the top of the material. Use a 1/4 inch bit.
    The material should be 1220 x 2440.

Now all I gotta do is take the code down starirs and test this baby out.
    Stay tuned for some pictures

The attached picture is how it shows in Mach3
    The red lines are the rapid movemnent between the cuts, and the blue the actual cuts. ( For those who didnt already know)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machsim.gif   another.gif  

Good Luck, can't wait to see the pictures.

Benny, just curious, but do you really need to make 5 or 6 passes (can't tell exactly from the pic) to cut 12mm MDF?? What kind of tool are you using, and how fast can your machine cut?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

One encoder on my machine has descided to play up. Its been an onging intermittant problem for some time. The cut was a disaster. As well as that the code cut the shapes out first instead of last, this caused movement of the material when the inner circles were cut

Ger, You are so right about too many passes, another mistake as well

I guess the reason for protos is to test the code as well as the design.

Expect a few days b4 I change the encoder and have another go at cutting

(want to cry)

i dont have a machine, but i have been looking for these types of plans for a while. may try to do this with just a router and jigsaw. (plus wanta post so i am subscribed to the thread )

benny whats the deal?
    havin trouble gettin that baby runnin or just busy?
    let us know what the deal is.

Matt

Page 4 of 7 23456