585,708 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: next step

next step

Hello guys i'm a new in this forum i read Beginner Troubleshooting and Building Considerations and many others articles over the internet but that didn't answer my question...so i builld my first cnc table 3 feet by 5 feet but now i need to connected somehow to the computer.

What will be good not to expensive, accurate around 1/32", USB kit so i can connect to the laptop with windows vista (board, small 3 stepping motors,power supply) working in 3 axis with easy to use software like autocad? ( something like draw and print) My cnc don't have to move fast because i will be cutting most of the time in 2 axis in wood and sometimes in aluminum but i wanna be able to cut in 3 axis sometimes. THANK you

You can draw your parts in Autocad.
    Then you need a CAM program to translate the drawing into G code. Search this site for recommendations. Vetric makes some lower cost software.
    Mach 3 will run the G code file and send commands out to your motors to move your machine. Typically you use the parallel port to do this along with a motor controller like the Geckodrive G540 (if it is appropriate for your motors - it might be overkill if they're small). However if you are dying for USB, you could use a smooth stepper for additional expense. Then you would go from that to the G540.
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

thank you for the info, is there any option in mach3 software that adjust how fast router is moving on axis Z,X,Y?

The "G Code" programming that Mach3 runs includes a FeedRate instruction,
    here is a tutorial on G Code:

CNC G code Tutorial | Lumenlab

cool thx