585,719 active members*
4,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > File importing

File importing

First before the questions my background.

I draw in Autocad, usually metric, solid models, almost everything is complex curves.
    Using Alphacam router, at work and for hobby. It will do 90% of what I want (hobby), which is first to produce machine code. Solid model file import very good, not flawless, as if 2d lines are present it gets confused. Very confused, I usually include 2d geometries as reference lines.

I don't want to draw in anything other than Autocad at this time.

I have tested a few other CAM programs, and the biggest issue is how a file is imported. That and lack of a 100% working demo.

I won't buy this type of software without being sure that it does what they writers say. To date every other demo, so called working demo, was either crippled in file import or simply did not import properly. One I tried imported about 1/2 the part.

My main requirement is native, not a converted file import of a solid model .dwg format file. Far too many errors get introduced in conversion.

How well does OneCnc do this? Also if I import a solid model can I than alter it in the program?

Last question for now, if I sent you a dwg file to see if it imports properly, would you test it? Just open it and see if it imports as a solid?

We cannot import Autocad *.dwg files into OneCNC, so an intermediate conversion (typically to dxf) would be required.

As for solid models, yes, you can tear 'em apart if you want in OneCNC. You need Mill Professional or Mill Expert for this capability. OneCNC is a hybrid modeller, so it can deal with surfaces or solids, but not in a parametric sense. Its not really built for so called organic shapes, but if you find a model is missing a surface, it is typically possible to create what is missing.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OneCNC does a very poor job at extracting edges from imported models, being that you are using a router its likely not going to be too big of an issues, but it is not good for machining profiles.