585,885 active members*
6,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > 18T dowload to pc no eob just long string

Question 18T dowload to pc no eob just long string

I recently started a new job at a fairly large shop 35+ cnc's. I was asked to help correct some RS232 comm. issues which I have begun to resolve. 3 of these machine are Nakamura TMC20 with 18T FANUC controls and happen to be the ones that for some reason after the big move into a larger building now send programs back to the pc as a long string. I recall running into this before many years ago on an OT-Mate control but for the life of me cannot recall what I did to fix it. If you have an idea please advise as I am trying to Secure my position at this new company after being out of work for 3 months...sigh. I have poked around here and found some very useful info regarding parameters and such but nothing seem to nail this one unless I missed it. Thank you. :cheers:

Parameters the same as this manual.You can reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Aaron

Parameter 100 bit 3 is NCR, and controls the output of EOB.

0 = LF CR CR
    1 = LF

If that doesn't fix it, the problem could be with how your communication software handles EOB codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron liang View Post
    Parameters the same as this manual.You can reference.
    I believe those are from a 21i control, and he said he had an 18T. Parameter 100 bit 2 (CRF) doesn't show up in the 18T manual.

Quote Originally Posted by karlbushnell View Post
    I recently started a new job at a fairly large shop 35+ cnc's. I was asked to help correct some RS232 comm. issues which I have begun to resolve. 3 of these machine are Nakamura TMC20 with 18T FANUC controls and happen to be the ones that for some reason after the big move into a larger building now send programs back to the pc as a long string. I recall running into this before many years ago on an OT-Mate control but for the life of me cannot recall what I did to fix it. If you have an idea please advise as I am trying to Secure my position at this new company after being out of work for 3 months...sigh. I have poked around here and found some very useful info regarding parameters and such but nothing seem to nail this one unless I missed it. Thank you. :cheers:

If I comprehend your Post correctly, you're saying that the 3 machines mentioned now send the program as one long string after the move, when before the move this was not the case. The chances of three machines all changing their characteristics in the same way and at the same time, and only because they were moved would be extremely unlikely. Accordingly, I would look at a common denominator, that all three machines share for the purpose of data transfer , and I would guess that would be one PC and software.

The output format of Carriage Return and Line Feed characters is set in Parameter 100, bit 2 and 3

Bit3 Bit2
    NCR CRF EOB output format
    0 0 “LF” “CR” “CR”
    0 1 “CR” “LF”
    1 0 “LF”
    1 1 “CR” “LF”

Of the above format, I nearly always use "LF" only. Some times "CR" "LF", but never "LF" "CR" "CR". I use "LF" only because most Editor/Comms packages worth their salt use RTF type text boxes, and I've found that the single "LF" seems to work the best, however, it is a bit software dependent.

Most Editor/Comms packages have a setting page where the EOB for the programs beings transferred can be defined. I would look closely into that, and also if there are any check boxes that can be set to discard any characters such as CR and LF during the transfer sessions. I think it would be more likely to be at the PC end than at the machine control.

Setting Fanuc controls for data transfer via RS232 is very simple and requires only a few steps. Accordingly, I would start from scratch and check the following configuration, as if the machines are being connected for the first time. This will work straight up as long as you have no faults with the PC or control.

Regards,
    Bill

Machine Parameters
    #0020 =0 (I/O Channel =0)
    #0100 = 10101000 (LF) or 10100100 (CR,LF)
    #0101 = 10000001
    #0102 = 0(RS-232C) (Use Software Handshake characters)
    #0103 = 11 (9600)(Baud rate)

The PC software Comms Settings have to match those of the machine control parameters.

Handshaking = Xon Xoff (Software Handshake)
    Baud Rate = 9600
    Data Bits = 7
    Parity = even
    Stop Bits = 2

Cable configuration for software handshaking
    Machine End----------------------PC End
    DB25 Male Connector------DB25 Female----DB9 Female
    2-----------------------------3---------------2
    3-----------------------------2---------------3
    | bridged

|
    8 all bridged
    |

7----------------------------7----------------5

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    I believe those are from a 21i control, and he said he had an 18T. Parameter 100 bit 2 (CRF) doesn't show up in the 18T manual.
    Yes.
    Parameters of these systems is basically the same, only 21i functionality than the relatively more 18.I only have English manual 21i.
    Aaron

The information in the previous replies to your post are correct. But you may not really have much of a problem as much as a word processor display anomaly.

First of all, FANUC uses LF for end of line termination. When you load in a part program, parameter file, etc the CNC will strip the CR character. When you output these files, the end of line is normally terminated with only a LF character. You should be able to successfully load a program that has been punched out of a CNC back into the CNC without a problem. Pls confirm this.

Now, for the funky display: If you open the file in Notepad you will see a continuous string of characters that is not easily readable/editable. If you open the same file in Wordpad, it should display nicely.

FANUC did add the parameters mentioned to output a CR when punching out, but not all controls supported it. It almost sounds like they changed the CAM system or word processor that they use to edit programs if all these controls demonstrated the problem at the same time.