585,575 active members*
3,908 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Ref. Position changed and don't know why

Ref. Position changed and don't know why

Hello All, I was setting my tools on a om-d and the z height was off over twice the actual position. I figured out that some how I changed the relative position and this caused the tool height to be off. the question I have is there any way to "lock" the relative numbers to the machine numbers to prevent this from happening again. (I really don't see a use for the Relative Position numbers anyway....maybe someone can enlighten me as to what the use's might be)

Thanks
    Steve

Can you zero out an axis display when you are in the relative position screen? To me, this would be the primary use of relative position: suppose you touch off your reference tool on a gauge block, and you need to know the Z distance from the gauge to the top of your part, so that you can set a Z work offset in your desired work offset system (G54, etc). Zero the Z display in the relative position while the tool is still on the gauge. Now, the Z distance that you discover as you touch off the workpiece will be a useful figure. That's what I do on a Haas. Fanuc might be different.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)