585,992 active members*
5,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machinable Wax

Anybody out there know how to make machinable wax . I wanted to use it to practice 3d machining . Its very expensive . But there is almost no wear and tear on tools and no mess .

I've read several long sets of posts on making machinable wax, and all the attempts seem to end in failure.

It really isn't that expensive.

Remember that you should save all the swarf and periodically reheat it and pour it back into a mold of your own making. The manufacturer recommends that you add just a small amount of new wax each time you recast it.

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    I've read several long sets of posts on making machinable wax, and all the attempts seem to end in failure.

It really isn't that expensive.

Remember that you should save all the swarf and periodically reheat it and pour it back into a mold of your own making. The manufacturer recommends that you add just a small amount of new wax each time you recast it.
    Cool , I will look onto it . My cousin has a smelt pot for pouring lead fishing lures . I can melt the wax back down in that . Being mixed with lead , would that be a chinese version of machinable wax .

Quote Originally Posted by LatheMaster View Post
    Cool , . Being mixed with lead , would that be a chinese version of machinable wax .
    it would be if you add mercury and melamine
    can you not use a chunk of wood , you'd be able to cut a lot of parts out of a 2x4
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    it would be if you add mercury and melamine
    can you not use a chunk of wood , you'd be able to cut a lot of parts out of a 2x4
    Thats funny there . I was wondering how they were cleaning up there pollution . They put it in there product and ship it here .

Wood will still dull up tools and you will get build up on the tool . But it still might be a good option . If routers can do it why not a mill .

This is any easy process.... Take your debit card information and submit it to this site and in 3-7 days you will have wax lol

Machinable Wax

If you want cheap and don't want to hurt your tooling try soft Pine wood.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    This is any easy process.... Take your debit card information and submit it to this site and in 3-7 days you will have wax lol

Machinable Wax

If you want cheap and don't want to hurt your tooling try soft Pine wood.

Yeh , thats one of the sites I saw . The chunk I was gana get was 4x5x10 . $80 shipped . That will allow for some widdling .

I got a 8x12 piece of 3/4 inch thick T6 yesterday . $30 . Gana use that for my base of the mill to bolt to .

Why not use UHMW it is very cheap.

Wood will still dull up tools .

a hss mill at high rpms will heat up and dull itself in wood , it'd take a while to dull a decent carbide .
    what rpm does your mill run at ?
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Cool , I will look onto it . My cousin has a smelt pot for pouring lead fishing lures . I can melt the wax back down in that . Being mixed with lead , would that be a chinese version of machinable wax .
    That's a bit of overkill. Use an old cooking pot and a hot plate, or if you're single, use the kitchen stove.

I use machinable wax often. It machines beautifully, and smells nice too. And when the wife allows, I remelt it in the kitchen. Melt it in the oven, not on a hotplate/stovetop. An hour or so at 350 does the trick (depending on scrap size). **Be sure to pre-heat the mold into which you're pouring the wax or it will sink and pull away from the sides. I have a little loaf pan that works pretty well.

UHMW cuts like dookie. Machinable wax for the win.

There are plenty of successful examples of homemade machinable wax on the web.

RepRap Log Phase: Nice Recipe for Machineable Wax

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettD2o-z0TU"]YouTube - Cnc Machine earning its keep.mp4[/nomedia]

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attach...neable-wax.pdf

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/uploa...wax_part_2.pdf

Machinable wax

Melt cheap IKEA candles in a cheap deep fryer, then displve freezer bags (LDPE) at a ratio 4:1 wax:Plastic. Strain before casting.
    Regards,
    Mark

word of caution regarding the wax; I bought that stuff and thought nothing of melting the scrap so I was heedless of the fumes- I was bedridden for the next 2 or 3 days with breathing difficulties ( and I'm a super-healthy guy, don't smoke, exercise etc.). So monitor the temperature well, maintain the best ventilation you can and wear a breathing filter. Really, the stuff shipped without any warnings- don't take for granted your personal health (and your familys/ coworkers)

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    a hss mill at high rpms will heat up and dull itself in wood , it'd take a while to dull a decent carbide .
    what rpm does your mill run at ?
    My LMS X2 does 2500rpm's .

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    That's a bit of overkill. Use an old cooking pot and a hot plate, or if you're single, use the kitchen stove.
    Yep , single with oven .

Quote Originally Posted by laszlozoltan View Post
    word of caution regarding the wax; I bought that stuff and thought nothing of melting the scrap so I was heedless of the fumes- I was bedridden for the next 2 or 3 days with breathing difficulties ( and I'm a super-healthy guy, don't smoke, exercise etc.). So monitor the temperature well, maintain the best ventilation you can and wear a breathing filter. Really, the stuff shipped without any warnings- don't take for granted your personal health (and your familys/ coworkers)
    Read this page . It also stated you can glue the stuff together if you have a weird part shape . This would allow for less material waste or less recycling .
    I am hessitant to make my own , especially using pastic bags for the health reasons . But this stuff sold here is non toxic . Non smelly too they say . There are temperature requirements and there is a max temp or you will start burning it .

Using Machinable Wax

Check out the vid :

Recycling Machinable Wax