584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cant get my lap top to talk to my CNC

Hello all:

Yes Im new to the site, but I plan on being a member for a long time. Im having a heck of time trying to send a program from my laptop to my Fadal. I have a newer lap top with windows 7 and Im running Geopath. I have the DNC part of the software too. I thinks its send it to the machine, but I think the problem is the fact all the computer has USB ports. I dont know how to configure the port so it is like an RS232 port. Can some one help please?

Thank you, John

Quote Originally Posted by IDM.Inc View Post
    Hello all:

Yes Im new to the site, but I plan on being a member for a long time. Im having a heck of time trying to send a program from my laptop to my Fadal. I have a newer lap top with windows 7 and Im running Geopath. I have the DNC part of the software too. I thinks its send it to the machine, but I think the problem is the fact all the computer has USB ports. I dont know how to configure the port so it is like an RS232 port. Can some one help please?

Thank you, John
    As far as I know you can't configure a USB as a standard serial port. You can buy a USB to serial adapter for a few dollars. I think they work in most serial applications.
    Here is one example.....
    Newegg.com - SABRENT 1 ft. USB to Serial db9 Male RS-232 (9-pin) Converter Model SBT-USC1M

Not sure it will work but they are cheap to try...

Garry

Common people - use the search bar.

I don't recommend the USB to serial at all.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal/16746-nc_fadal.html
    As you can see, I changed my mind after some very expensive DNC issues.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Common people - use the search bar.

I don't recommend the USB to serial at all.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fadal/16746-nc_fadal.html
    As you can see, I changed my mind after some very expensive DNC issues.

I ordered the following...Please give me you opinion. Newegg.com - Koutech IO-USP210 USB to Serial+Parallel Port Adapter

As for the card you talk about, where does it plug into on the laptop?

Thank you, John

Well I ordered the serial card and sure enough...It does noy work. Seems a I have a defective one. I cant load the driver for it after 2 attempts from the tech guys at startech.com...They are sending me another card tomorrow...Hurry up and wait I guess

laptop to machine

I'm no expert, however, I've beeen told that you may get some serious problems as the laptop is not grounded. The machine control is grounded via the circuit it's plugged into. The laptop is not....one of the wires is used by the machine controller and also used by a DESKTOP. The ground completes the circuit.

I would try a desktop and see if the problem disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by FranH View Post
    I'm no expert, however, I've beeen told that you may get some serious problems as the laptop is not grounded. The machine control is grounded via the circuit it's plugged into. The laptop is not....one of the wires is used by the machine controller and also used by a DESKTOP. The ground completes the circuit.

I would try a desktop and see if the problem disappears.
    If the rs232 cable is wired properly there is a through ground wire in it. Laptop should be no issue.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    If the rs232 cable is wired properly there is a through ground wire in it. Laptop should be no issue.
    I was thinking the samething as well...Hopefully when the new card arrives and I can actually install the driver, this will be a "done deal"...

Okay...the plot thickens....I decided to say screw this and I purchased an old PC on graiglist. The computer works great. I installed geopath on it with no issues, and the connected it to com1. I tried sending the program, and now I actually get the computer to think the program is being sent, but the mill is not receiving the program...I talked to an "expert" and apparently the pin configuration on the 9 pin to 25 adapter could be wrong...so now, I'm bring this guy the cable to re-configure/solder...Damnit, I just wanna make parts!

cartier love bracelet,cheap wow gold,cartier necklaces

As it turns out, the cable I had was bad...I talked to my local Fadal service man and he made me up a new cable...Making chips as of today!!