585,733 active members*
4,763 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RF45 Dimension question

My RF45 will not be here until next week and I'd like to get a stand built today. Can someone tell me the distance from the bottom of the mill's base to the top of the table please?

It's a RongFu if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Richard

My Lathemaster RF45 is.....

From the bottom of the base casting to the top edge of the table is 9 5/8"... give or take a few shims.... Remember man, MAKE IT BEEFY!!! peace

Pete

Thanks Pete, do you mind telling me what the outside dimensions are of the base?

Planm from what I have laying around in the scrap pile.
    4"x4" x0.250 wall steel sq. tube legs. Braces 2"x6" box tubing x 3/16"
    7/8" threaded Leveling Pads
    1" plate for table top (if I have enough)

Hopefully that will hold it?

Richard

Richard,
    My base is 16 X 25 ..

I like the 1" top .. weight & size are your friends on the stand!

The machine itself should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 700lbs which as dead weight you could put on a light stand & it would hold the weight just fine.
    But, as soon as you begin moving the table around you're shifting a considerable amount of weight from side to side & from front to back. The faster your rapids are .. the more the problem will increase.
    So a stand that is HEAVY, has a wide base, and lots of lateral strength will overcome the tendency to shake the whole thing around as the mill operates.

I believe it was Arizonavideo who mentioned his stand was built out of heavy wall 2X2 tube? .. and it think the quote was: "I call it old shaky"

16" wide by 25" deep?

Richard

Skinman....

Yeah that sounds about right... mine is also 16x25 give or take a little.... That is just the physical cast iron base not including of course the overhangs of the table and any future motor drives for CNC... Make sure if you intend to GO cnc down the road that you account for a splash tray or full enclosure and how it will be built. The stand can be made to support not just the machine but the weight and width/length of the enclosure if you have enough material...... Another thing to consider is if you intend to have your control unit supported by the stand. My machine I built the stand and enclosure to support themselves and my control unit mounts on the wall beside the machine. The keyboard and mouse are eventually gonna be mounted on a swing out arm that will support them when I get around to welding up the mount to the stand... Good luck... peace

Pete

Old Shaky has two new rear legs sitting in the back room of 6X6X3/16" box steel and a slice of 2X4 X .25" for a cross support.

I really should have got the 5" so I could cut them in one pass on the chop saw. I'm filling them most of the way with cement with rubber feet so perhaps the house will shake less when milling.