585,733 active members*
5,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feeds and Speeds help

Hello,

Sorry to bother you all with such a dumb newbie question here.

I recently purchased a medium size CNC mill which has a 1.5hp 6000rpm spindle.

My problem is that I have a job that I have to complete sooner than I have time to learn how to use the machine.

The part is flat stock .100" aluminum that I need to edge mill off 1/4" of material.

I currently only have collets for 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" along with some end mills from Harbor Freight,2 flute and 4 flute set.

I cannot use coolant as the parts I have to mill have components on them. So I'm guessing I'll use up a bit or two in the process. I could possible brush something on the bit as it's going but I need to keep it to a minimum.

I could use a little help figuring out what speed I should set my spindle to as well as the feed rate that I should use.Also any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

hi
    from uk so will be in metric am afraid, try surface speed of 300m/per min though your machine wont get there so guess top rpm for size of cutters you are using, about .05mm per tooth feed, possibly use rtd compound and air blast at tool to blast turnings and give some cooling effect
    hope you get there mate

regards

Thanks for the suggestion Mick.W

I called Osrud.com today to get suggestions on a bit and feed / speed recommendations.

They suggested their 62-620 bit with a feed of 20ipm and an rpm of 6000. I drove out to their warehouse and picked up a couple of them and the plan is to try them out tomorrow. They said just a light squirt of wd40 before each plate should be plenty of coolant.

Hope they work because the snow storm that's on the way will probably have everything around here shut down for the next couple of days.

See y'all

duplicate

best of luck with the job and the weather

atb

mick