585,715 active members*
4,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Budget

CNC Budget

I am trying to convince a local art center to build a CNC router and I need to give them a budget to show the feasibility. I posted over on the JGRO but was told that I would better served building a Joe's Hybrid instead because I would like the router to have a 4x8 cutting area. I found a couple threads that discuss cost, but they are several years old. I was hoping to get some sample budgets if anyone would like to share.

Thanks

Try Build Your CNC

I would start at the website, Build Your Own CNC Router Machine. They have a lot of good information. They also sell reasonably priced kits.

Another source would be MechMate, they provide open source plans and have a huge following.

I have checked out Build Your Own CNC Router Machine and there is a parts list/budget but it seems very incomplete to me. But it is a good start.

The MechMate site looks pretty interesting. I'm surprised I haven't seen it. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by jharvey407 View Post
    Another source would be MechMate, they provide open source plans and have a huge following.
    Drawing Plan files for downloading - this is where you get the drawings - MechMate CNC Router Forum

The MechMate plans are no longer open source, haven't been for about a year now. Now cost $100, so I guess they are following the model Joe did for his Hybrid.

If you are really attracted to Joe's hybrid, you may want to make the $100 investment to get his plans, which would get you access to his forums; I bet that would help you out a bunch.

From Kits & Plans:
    "Along with the Purchase of the Plans access to the "Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid" Support Forum is granted, which hosts an array of thousands of posts and photos containing information that will help with your build. Included on the forum also are bill of materials for the machine in excel format and BOM's for the sample controllers in the 4x4's page. You will find a lot of Build Logs of several machine already build which also aids in a great understanding of the Machine and its inner workings."

I have been lurking on CNCZONE for some time now. I finally just purchased a HobbyCNC Pro kit with (4) 305 steppers, kind of a late christmas present to myself. That will be phase one - getting the electronics all set up, with a PC & Mach or EMC set up so I can control the motors. I am leaning towards a Joe's 2006, but hope to be able to cut all the parts out manually, since I am on a real tight budget. If it turns out to be too much a hassle cutting everything out by hand, I may end up splurging on a kit from Joe, I don't know.

Best of luck with it!

Paying $100 to get access to the forums at MechMate and Joe's is not worth it at the moment. If I choose one of those designs than it's not a problem. I'm hoping to have a budget this week.

Thanks for the help