I am in the process of having a SIEG X2 mill, sold by MicroMark, the Microlux #82573, converted to CNC. The conversion is being done by KDN Tool & Automation Engineering Co (http://www.kdntool.com). I just dropped the mill off at KDN Tool for a full conversion to zero back lash ball screws, advanced mechanicals kit, four 270 in-oz stepping motors, advanced open loop electronics, upgraded to Gecko drivers, 4th axis upgrade, and DeskCNC driver card, optical limit and home switches, lubrication grooves and pluming, one shot lube pump, column indicated and pinned, home and limit switches wired and installed, access to spindle gears for lubrication. The reason I mention all of this is because just one month ago I couldn't spell CNC. I almost gave up of ever finding a full system CNC conversion specializing in the SIEG X1, X2, and X3 mills.

My objective is to do engraving, sclupting, carving, embossing, and 3D relief modeling. After studying most if not all of the "engraving" software, I chose Designs Computed, Virtual Sculptor VS3D/VScad3 software (www.designscomputed.com). KDN Tool & Automation Engineering, and Designs Computed Virtual Sculptor have worked together on my behalf to insure that the complete system will work with DeskCNC. The colaberation has been remarkable to ensure that I will have a system that will function flawlessley.

Again I am mentioning all of this for the benefit of new people that are looking for a complete system solution. When I am thru I will have a $25,000 engraving machine and CNC mill, for only a small fraction of $25,000.

The SIEG X2 comes with a gear driven #3 Morse taper spindle that is driven by a variable speed motor. The spindle speed range is 0 to 2,500 rpm. I will be ordering a spindle speed read out conversion from Little Machine Shop. KDN Tool & Automation Engineering will install, wire, and create electronics to connect the encoder output into the DeskCNC controll board. Which will allow G-Code controll of the spindle speed.

I have been searching for a high speed, dc electric motor driven, straight drive (no belt drive), collet spindle, for rpms between 5,000 and 15,000 rpm, to be used for "engraving". I saw one on this site or the Yahoo site thru the broadcast e-mail system, for about $250. At the time I did not know that I would need such a spindle and did not save the information.

My web searches have only turned up packages for $1,000 to $1,500 (includes a speed controller). Does anyone know of a high speed spindle with dc in line motor, with collet system for about $250? KDN Tool & Automation will design and build the speed controller for it. Would appreciate your help.

Thanks, Whelen