585,975 active members*
5,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ZenBot 1624 Diary

I started off looking to build a machine, and am still working on that. But I have some immediate needs for prototyping that only require cutting plastic so I looked around and finally settled on a Zenbot.

I chose the Zenbot for a couple of reasons. First off, it looks like a well designed and well built machine for the price. I will eventually need it for some production work and the super fast rapids were attractive.

Also, it's made in the USA. Call me old fashioned but soon us yanks will have nothing left if we always buy the cheapest thing we can find from China.

Lastly, Shaun was very helpful, patient, and informative on the phone. I'm new to this CNC router thing, so service after the sale will be a big deal to me.

I looked on the web and found a couple of reviews and they were good. I was a little surprised not to find more, so I figured I would add one here for the next guy to come a long wondering about the Zenbot.

On this thread I'll chronicle my experience and try to show what the machine can and can not do.

Selecting the model

I called Shaun and asked him a thousand questions so I could decide which machine was best for me. My first priority was to get the stiffest machine possible. The second priority was to get the largest one possible.

It turns out, the 1624 and the 2424 use the same gantry design, but the 2424 has a longer gantry. That means the 1624 will be stiffer. The smaller models use a different gantry that's not as strong. So, as far as I can tell from the information I got from Shaun the 1624 has the stiffest gantry.

Shaun also recommended the Bosch Colt router. I ordered that and it should be here any day. I also ordered the 1/8" precision collet from Precision solid carbide tools for woodworking and metal forming.

With the machine I ordered the Zenbot control box and Mach 3 software.

Shaun told me to expect 2 weeks lead time. I asked him to do what he could to shorten that The machine was ordered Jan 31 2011. Now I'm anxiously waiting!!!

Got home today and the Bosch Colt router had arrived. Not sure what I was expecting exactly, but it's a bit heavier duty and a bit quieter than I thought it would be.

The precision collet and some end mills I ordered are here too. I'm going to try to mount the router to something tomorrow and measure the runout.

Hi lcifers

I'm also new on this, and also bought a zenbot! the 1216 model. While waiting for the zenbot I had done some research and I think that there is something really important that will affect the final result of your zenbot.

what I'm talking about is the spindle or in our case router runout. "Spindle runout problems can be your hidden quality issues, registration problems, and the cause of excessively high scrap rates in building reliable PCBs. The simple definition of spindle radial runout is how much wobble a spindle produces at the nose. Axial runout is the measurement of how much play there is perpendicular to the axis of rotation."

After learning this I bought the precisebits collects for the hitachi m12vc that I have, so to reduce the runout of its original collect. For what I Had read (Bosch Colt TIR Measurement) some bosh colt suffers runout problems so you better check yours just to be sure.

Cj

Thanks for the info. I still have not checked the runout but I do have the precision collet from Precision solid carbide tools for woodworking and metal forming.

I'll post up results when I can measure it.

Thanks for posting this. We are looking to add a cheap little table top and we were considering the zenbot.

Smile Me Too

I am also waiting for my Zenbot 1624 with controll box and Mach 3. I purchased the Bosch Colt with the precisebits collects. Like you I can't wait for it to arrive.

Walt

I put the new precision collet in the Bosch Colt tonight and it looks like about .0005 runout. I imagine most of it's in the spindle rather than the collet. I talked to Shaun earlier this week and he said it would be another week before it ships, a few days off the original estimate. I'm patiently waiting...

Talked to Shaun today. He said the machine should ship today. Looking forward to getting it in and trying it out! A friend whose machine shop went under a year or two ago gave me BobCad/Cam Mill 22. That was a great surprise! Had been trying to figure out what package to get. No need to worry about that now.

Reformatted the desktop machine that's going to run this thing tonight. Still have to find a few drivers but Win2K is loaded. Machine is scheduled for delivery March 1.

It's here! I unpacked it and had it assembled and hooked up within an hour. Spent some time with the Mach 3 PDF and finally jogged the axes and made a couple of dry runs with the "Wizards".

The first impression of the machine is pretty good. There was a problem with some hardware coming loose during shipping - but I suspect they were never tightened - an honest enough mistake.

My first impression of the overall subject - CNC machining - is that it's a bit more complicated than I suspected. A lot of the hill to climb relates to learning to use the software, but somehow I expected it to be less complicated than it seems to be now.

more later...

Well I've spent the last couple of weeks getting familiar with the machine as well as Mach3 and several CAM softwares.

I'm pretty happy with the machine. Once I was able to get started things have went pretty smoothly. The machine is very quick and rather accurate in soft materials. It's not very stiff at all so I know I'm limited to light cuts in wood and plastic - but that's OK. I knew that when I got it.

I've cut several parts in wood, and am milling my first plastic mold as I write this. So far so good.

I set the machine up on a cheap folding table. It's safe enough but wobbles as the machine runs, particularly when changing directions. My first thought was that I need to put it on a more sturdy platform but after thinking about it I think the wobbly platform is actually a good thing. When the unit changes direction quickly with the relatively heavy Bosch Colt on it, the table acts as something of a shock absorber, dampening the reaction. Even with that I have to be careful about speed because when it changes direction suddenly it can leave a bump mark due to flexing. I think on a solid platform it would be worse.

I'm running Mach 3 on an old Compaq I got from my bro. I put Win2K on it and it runs great.

So far all of the programming has been done with MeshCAM. I am in the eval period and have not decided yet what I will be using. I have BobCAD 23 but there is an issue with the dongle and although Cody in tech support was very helpful and responsive, once he sent it over to the registration dept to resolve it's slowed to a grinding halt. I have a feeling I'll end up using BobCAD, but might get MeshCAM anyway. It's inexpensive and very quick and easy to use. It creates good toolpaths.

I had originally intended to use 1/8" bits but I've milled wood and plastic successfully with 1/4" end mills. The plastic part I'm routing now has a 1/8" radius so I'm using the 1/4" ball mill and it's cutting fine.

Here's a video of one of my first test cuts. I couldn't figure out how to embed it...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8c3rRW4OCk"]YouTube - ZenBot CNC Test Cut[/nomedia]

Gratz on getting a new Zenbot up and going. I've been a proud owner of a Zenbot mini for a few years now. When I got mine, the mini was the only model offered from Zenbot and it didn't come with a controller. I have a Xylotex controller, backed down to 2A per phase. I've used mine once or twice times a week on the average since it arrived to cut polycarbonate. I too use MeshCAM and Mach3 and have since the beginning.

I really like how MeshCAM integrates well with the CutViewer Mill program so I can see what it is I'm about to do and make any adjustments. Once I like what I see, I save the output in two files: "rough" and "finish", allowing me to change bits between each file run.

I normally run a rough cut with a 1/16th inch bit, then finish up with a 1/32nd inch bit, both round nose for contouring. The finishing stage is really two parts, one is pencil line and the other is an XY pass. It took me a while to figure out that it is really helpful if your roughing and finishing bits are the same overall length. This way, you can zero the machine just one time at the start of the project, run your roughing file, change the bit, then run your finishing file. You don't have to rezero the machine for the finishing pass.

The only thing about this whole setup I have to watch for is keeping chips off the rails as the Zenbot does not do well at all if any chips get up where the roller bearings are traveling on the square tubing. I have a partially flattened 4" dust collector hose running all the time, sitting right under the overhead gantry, but it is still not unusual for some chips to leap out and make the journey to find themselves laying on the square tube in the path of the incoming gantry. If the two meet up, the machine will skip some steps and pretty much ruin that job. It doesn't happen often, but still does happen. I'm always looking at ways to add shields on the dremel tool or shorten the distance of the dust collection method to the work being milled.

Overall though, I have been very pleased with my setup. I have had zero maintenance issues on the Zenbot and it keeps running true and strong.

zenbot set-up

Hi lcifers --

Thanks for posting this.

It sounds like you are making good progress with your 1624 and I am interested following your diary.

I am in the process of getting familiar with my new 1216, and figuring out what remains to be configured in Mach-3. We all are "reinventing the wheel", since there are no "hints" in the Zenbot set-up instructions for setting up table size, home, soft-limits, offsets and etc. There should be a "best practice" to help a person get off to a quicker start. Maybe your thread will help document your discoveries and perhaps contribute ideas toward a quick start guide/reference. xcayba (and others who have responded here) may also have some valuable suggestions.

Eventually, I'd like to find an official or unofficial Zenbot specific forum, ...perhaps on Yahoo or Google groups if not as a sub-forum here in CNCZone. What are your thoughts about that?

--Rich

Recieved My 1624

I also recieved my 1624 at around the same time. I had a problem with the controller board but Shaun took care of it right away and replaced it promptly. The help and customer service from Zenbot has been second to none....GREAT!!!

Since recieving the machine I have cut several signs and I have built a Guitar that I am finishing and I also carved a cross for the entryway to a Russian Orthodox Church. The cross is signfoam 1.5" thick with 3/4" pocket.

I love the machine and I would buy another from Zenbot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5031053 small.jpg   S5031058 small.jpg