584,800 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Calmotion USB.

I installed the Calmotion USB unit today and set it up by the book. I cant get this thing to work to save my life. It dose nothing at all. I have power to the unit and all connections are good. Cant get it to do anything at all.

First thing you need to do is start a dialog so

cd, (could be a number between 1-12)

So enter command mode on your Fadal
    type:
    cd,8
    (a command propt will pop up after you typed cd,8)
    type:
    dir+
    If it stalls and doesnt read the dir+ or give you the next command prompt then your dont have the right baud rate selected. CD,8 is 9600 baud just go through the numbers until you find the right baud rate.

When you load a program its
    cd,8 (again could be any number the unit was setup with)
    ta,(program name).nc+

If you see a @ sign after putting in the + mark then its thinking. The Calmotion device basically give you limited conversation with it and you will find yourself always typing in your CD,? first before checking the directory on the USB key and the + key acts like hitting "enter" and after you hit + it does what you typed in that line.
    BTW THE BOOK SUCKS
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

The highest baud rate on my machine is 9600 CD,8. That is the lowest setting on the Calmotion unit. The default setting on the Calmotion is 38400. I tryed to change the baud setting on the Calmotion unit per the book but was unsuccessful. Still not working.

INI file

I had to change mine to 9600 as well. Did you create the .ini file necessary to change modes and power down and up with the usb in the port? Mine works great, I'd have gone bald pulling my hair out with data transmission issues. Pricey but worth every penny.

Mine flakes out sometimes on the first use, have to hit manual to reset it but I think it's just a setting in the ini file, I don't have time to investigate, I can post results later.

Kevin V.

Ok, I was able to get the calmotion USB working. I tryed to load a program and was unsuccessful. It tells me that the program is not on the usb. What can I be doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by neilthib View Post
    Ok, I was able to get the calmotion USB working. I tryed to load a program and was unsuccessful. It tells me that the program is not on the usb. What can I be doing wrong?
    Are you entering + at the end of each line? You have to do that at Each line not just the first

http://www.calmotion.com/Calmotion%2...C%20v1.8.1.pdf

You also have to give it time to think about it. It's not that quick, and sometimes looks like it's locked up...usually it isn't, it's just not that quick.

Yes I am using the + at the end of each line. It gives me an error code (25) and says the program is not on the USB.

I'd run into this problem at first, and discovered it was the way I had the programs in the USB labeled.

Not at the machine, and don't remember exactly what the specifics are right now, but that's what I'd recommend checking.

I think it has to do with the extension of the filename and what the control likes to recognize. Tried deleting the extension to see if the control sees it? Make sure too that the program is at the top of the directory tree. I've had problems dealing with folders.

No underscores in the file name. There is no underscore on the Fadal 88 keyboard.

I installed the Calmotion USB unit today and set it up by the book. I cant get this thing to work to save my life. It dose nothing at all. I have power to the unit and all connections are good. Cant get it to do anything at all.
    You can call Glenn @ Calmotion. He's very knowledgeable and should be able to help you out!

Their number from their site: (818) 357-5826

-Shelvin
    TheFadalParts.com
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

Did you ever figure out the issue or try another brand converter? Brand and size of usb stick seems to be issue. Try finding anything under 16gb now days is nearly impossible. I think the earlier models may have had limitations on them and high speed USB’s today don’t tend to work on the older calmotion models.

Re: Calmotion USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    Did you ever figure out the issue or try another brand converter? Brand and size of usb stick seems to be issue. Try finding anything under 16gb now days is nearly impossible. I think the earlier models may have had limitations on them and high speed USB’s today don’t tend to work on the older calmotion models.
    Look at the version number of you Calmotion. Without a USB installed, power the unit, enter your CD, # command that you have set up for the unit. Then just press + the help menu will display. If the version in the upper right does not have (03.66) there then you will only be allowed to use 1 GB or smaller USB disks.

To use any USB disk, it willl need to be updated. Call Calmotion, you can send it in to be updated to use any USB disk.

What is the latest version? Mine works great until I remove the USB drive, go modify the contents, then plug it back into the Fadal.
    It just blinks the LED's on the USB drive forever until I power cycle the Calmotion UBS device. Then it works okay again.

Supply is perfect 5.02 vdc
    Rs232 is grounded
    Tried pluging in directly to the black box instead of the cable going to the pendant.

Fairly repeatable.

check your battery if older Fadal....can cause gremlins

school of the passed,
    DJ

Mine has a new battery but thanks.

A follow up, if that's even a thing anymore.

Calmotion Fadal USB device - See the problem below. I found this only happens if you plug it in, do a CD <enter> then a DIR+ it will go into an endless loop.
    I found two ways to get around it.

1) If it does go into an endless loop, just unplug the USB drive until it says it failed, then reinsert, and try again. Almost always works.
    2) After sticking a drive in, CD <Enter> like you normally do, but if you just do a TA,Filename+ without doing a DIR+ it works every time.

Something fishy about their DIR+ command getting stuck in a loop!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    What is the latest version? Mine works great until I remove the USB drive, go modify the contents, then plug it back into the Fadal.
    It just blinks the LED's on the USB drive forever until I power cycle the Calmotion UBS device. Then it works okay again.

Supply is perfect 5.02 vdc
    Rs232 is grounded
    Tried pluging in directly to the black box instead of the cable going to the pendant.

Fairly repeatable.

A follow up, if that's even a thing anymore.

Calmotion Fadal USB device - See the problem below. I found this only happens if you plug it in, do a CD <enter> then a DIR+ it will go into an endless loop.
    I found two ways to get around it.

1) If it does go into an endless loop, just unplug the USB drive until it says it failed, then reinsert, and try again. Almost always works.
    2) After sticking a drive in, CD <Enter> like you normally do, but if you just do a TA,Filename+ without doing a DIR+ it works every time.

Something fishy about their DIR+ command getting stuck in a loop!

Richard
    Thanks, I'll have to give this a try. Got so tired of power cycling it I considered putting a power button with NC contacts next to the usb port.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I hear really good things about the ShopLinks on Ebay that are much less expensive.
    I ended up just building my own and the Calmotion is in a drawer.

Just to add, if you go into SetP, find out your default baud rate, let's say it's 38,400 and you have the Calmotion set to the same, you do not need to use the bps parameter with cd.

Just use CD<enter>
    Then DIR+

Setting up the default baud rate keeps your from having to add the ",10" to the CD each time.

I hear really good things about the ShopLinks on Ebay that are much less expensive.
    I ended up just building my own and the Calmotion is in a drawer.
    Raspberry pi or arduino?

Page 1 of 2 12