585,743 active members*
5,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OSP5000 control ..how can I save common variables?

OSP5000 control ..how can I save common variables?

I want to be able to write and save the values that are input by the operator on the common variable screen to create "family" part libraries. Just cant figure out how to save and store the input.

Advise and suggestions appreciated.
    CHEERS!

LR-25 2S-T

You should be able to save the table using the DAT PIP function if it is on that vintage of machine.

EXTEND > DATA PIP > OUTPUT > "BB1: DATA.TOP > WRITE

Output data is?

P1 > WRITE ( I think that is the correct parameter for common variables)

There should be a section in your Special Functions manual describing this feature and showing you what codes to enter for what data you want. If you want all of the data, don't enter any parameters, just press WRITE to get them all.

This creates a text file that can be Input back into the control when re-setting up the job. The editor on the machine can open it as well as any text editor.

Best regards,

I do not have the OUTPUT option in EDIT mode, just a little stumped atm , but hopefully I can gain some more insight from the manual. There must be a way to save and store the Common Variables I just can't see it....yet!
    can it be VSET?????
    -of course not that is the opposite of what I want

Don't remember data pip being on the early 5000 controls, not sure i remember seeing that till the 5000g controls, or even 5020's. Now i'm curious, I have one 5000LG left here, ill have to go look now.

It is a OSP5000L-G control, I think it has user task 2 capabilities but not entirely sure. Well better go make some widgets...

If the control is equipped with User Task 2, then it has the ability to up/download variables and do a host of other things as well.

I believe that going into the PIP menu will enable you to do this, although I'm not sure of correct syntax.

there is "data pip" function for sure on that control. Maybe it's not under "Edit", maybe "parameters". Just key-in "DPIP" and "Write". Or seek under soft keys after "ext". Exactly as MrOkumaWiz stated.
    Maybe "punch" is instead of "output"

Local Okuma Rep. helped verify that I do have User Task 2 on this control, I tried several different combinations of syntax, just haven't found the key yet, oh well time to see where this macro leads me..

Cheers!

Data PIP

If you EXTEND in EDIT mode do you have the DATA PIP key? The 5020L-G was about the time it came available. If you have that key it is available, but may have READ /PUNCH on that control since primarily using RS-232 at that time.

Other than that, you could set the common variables in the program, but that would "lock" them unless you edit the program. Another alternative is a second "variable" program that sets them before running your main program. It would "unlock" them for use, but would still require you to edit the variable program when finished in order to capture the current settings.

The last option gets ugly. It would require a flopppy drive board and would involve backing up PBU files. Not a good option.

DATA PIP is your best way to accomplish this. If it is not on your machine, I think it could be added through software if you are willing to pay the piper...

Check the Data Management card in the back of your machine to see if you have the Spec for Data In/Out if you can't find the key in EDIT mode.

Best regards,

you are talking about some of the things I think I want to do. I would like to back up the pbu, sys, ssb, and other unfamiliar extensions the filetypes that I believe are considered system files... I have the punch option in the PIP function...I am still trying to find a way to capture the info from the common variable screen, and now we are also trying to figure out how to "unprotect" the *.pbu, *.pol, and other files in the BB0: dir, but are running into a protection issue...damn this is getting fun, eventually this will lead back to the initial problem but in the meanwhile we are learning new things.

Cheers!
    I'm just a butcher masquerading as a machinist

time waste. No way to use these files outside OSP. Some are just plain text. OSP Data management card, disk labels, for instance. Many of other files are OSP system components and no reason to copy them self-discovered way.

hmm most of the programs I work wih are just text, ordered and defined but still just alphanumerics. This does seems to be a waste of time :drowning:...guess I will just have to make a few hundred short subprograms or thousand

Cheers!

PUT WOOOHOOO!

so now I understand a way to capture the number values from the Common Variable screen into a file......now I want to know more!:idea:
    If anyone knows of a manual that covers User Task functions more explicitly please post a "book name" or "publication number" for a manual I would appreciate it.
    I want to know more about things like read/write modin/modout get/put ,how to better use this logic in general.
    Cheers!