585,582 active members*
3,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for DIY PCB CNC project

Hehe, if I can add any more acronyms I will.

I am curious to try some PCB cutting. Preferably something that will be beneficial for my CNC setup.

For anyone who is not familiar with my build it is located here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...a_build_w.html

It is a 25x25 Solsylva design that is heavily modified. The only electronics currently involved is the HobbyCNC EZ driver board and 305oz steppers. This connects via my LPT port. Add a router and thats pretty much it.

Now I am thinking it's time to work on the electronics end of this gig. Really what I just want is an excuse to cut a PCB.

Any ideas?

I think the easiest way is to download the trial version of Eagle and load up the ULP program.
    PCB-GCode Phorum
    CadSoft Online: Home of the EAGLE Layout Editor

Now there is another program that I would like to try but have not had the spare cash to give it a try. CopperCam
    GALAAD / Integrated CAD-CAM-CNC software for Windows

I have used Eagle before...very nifty stuff. Would be open to using it agian on whatever I make.

I just want to make something for the CNC. Although it's pretty important that the machine doesn't make too many parts for itself. If it becomes any more aware and then happens to dislike me we all could be in some serious trouble. Arnold is busy in California, I don't know if he's available to take on any more crisis's right now.

Kicad

Kicad is open source, all the features of eagle, all the eagle libraries have been converted... I find it much easier to use personally.

Lots of projects kicking around to do test runs with; I'll be posting up an arduino cnc controller shield here in the next week or so; Just ordered up a bunch of ICs for testing/verifying the circuits...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Kicad

Kicad is open source, all the features of eagle, all the eagle libraries have been converted... I find it much easier to use personally.

Lots of projects kicking around to do test runs with; I'll be posting up an arduino cnc controller shield here in the next week or so; Just ordered up a bunch of ICs for testing/verifying the circuits...
    which arduino cnc controller did you get?