584,879 active members*
5,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 3-axis DRO...which is better option.

3-axis DRO...which is better option.

I've narrowed my search down to these two options for my G0704. I'm open to other comparable options as well too if you know of any.
    mTECH DRO Digital Readout
    DRO PROS Digital Readout beats Heidenhain Newall Acurite Sargon Fagor

Putting price aside, which of these seem the better option? I have never used a mill with a DRO so I'm not exactly sure what to look for. The kit from DRO Pro comes with a wealth of info and support (as it better for $300 more) but the mTECH version "appears" to have the better and more functional display. That would probably the deciding factor for fwiw.
    The DRO Pro shop is nice because they are a US based company (though they still import their parts) vs. an offshore company like mTECH. Always nice to keep the dollars on this side but also nice to have the $300 difference in my pocket too.

How much more useful is the higher resolution of the DRO Pro scales.

Also, I'm tired of dealing with the little handwheels on the G0704. I've ordered the new power feeder offered for the mill from Grizzly and also ordered the larger Z-axis handwheels to replace the factory y-axis and one side of the x-axis. I tried the larger handwheels out on a few cuts and I can get a more consistent feed rate while being easier to turn/control as you may imagine. The larger wheels do fit, though the y-axis gets real close at full extension with the gib locks. I know most of you guys are going cnc and could care less about any of that but some of the manual guys may find it useful.

I'll start a thread when I get the power feeder and DRO installed. Grizzly said the power feed was back ordered until the end of March fyi.
    -Dave

I ordered a G0704 and would be interested in hearing which DRO is better as well. I'm also interested in how the power feed works. I wish they would put a picture of it on their website.

I have one of these on my X1 mill:
    DRO-550 | shumatech.com
    Works great even with the cheap "Chinese" scales that I used. Apparently it works really well if you spend the money on optical (glass) scales.

I just wrote this up on another forum and thought it may help you as well.
    I have had 2 Meister 3 axis DRO's for 4-5 years and a Sino 3 axis for 2 years and have had no problem with any of them at all.

The guy selling Sino on ebay lets you upgrade to slim line scale and 1um scales for around $20 each axis. From memory the Meister's are more expensive to up grade but are a nice readout. The Sino is also a multi function (Mill, Grinder, Lathe, etc) where the Meister and allot of others out there only support single machines.

I have not read any bad reports on these cheaper readouts and the DRO pro's are probably marked up compared to the others because they have to pay for advertising and there website.

As long as you set them up right (which is not hard) they are reliable and will last many years to come. The glass scale are robust and come with covers that are to be set 2-3mm away from the scale so any impacts are taken up by the cover. the glass strip is glued into the aluminum extrusion which makes it well supported and protected.
    I put my mill X axis scale on the front of the table to save travel and used a steel angle to protect it from bumps.

Dave

give these guys a try. If you e-mail them with what you are wanting to do they will help you out in choosing what you need. theDROstore Home Page

speaking of hand wheels- I never got around to posting it up but I bought a 33mm socket, 33mm od nut (don't remember id), and a corresponding bolt, cut the head off the bolt and turned the shaft of the bolt down to the id of my z hand wheel, put the turned bolt into the hand wheel, screwed nut on drilled and tapped 6 4mm hikes through and tapped in the handwheel, drilled the threads out of the 33mm bolt, put the socket on a cheap drill that now lives directly below my z handwheel.

$8 power feed for the z AND for those with no power feed on the x same thing will work