585,877 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Can't establish geometry for Z level rough.

Can't establish geometry for Z level rough.

I'm going thru the tutorials for V23 and can't generate a tool path for a Z Level rough feature. I have a plus sign (+) beside the Geometry on the CAM tree...I'm thinking that means it needs geometry, yes? I've selected the upper and lower geometry ( a circle for the upper shape, a smaller square for the lower shape...nota "skin" just simple geometry), but it doesn't seem to accept it... Maybe I need to make the upper and lower Contours into surfaces first?
    regards,
    Ken

The 3D surfacing toolpaths require a surface to work from. Only 3D engrave will accept wireframe type geometry.

Can you post an example file of what you are trying to do? I'll try to give you a hand.

I can't upload a bobcad file, what can I send you that would work....dwg.dxf? Thanks for offering to help!
    regards,
    Ken

Browse to the folder where your file is kept and right click it. There should be a menu item "Send To". Send to a compressed (zipped) folder. Now try to upload the .zip file. It should work.

OK Lets try this...

Ken_1.zip

Ok, it uploaded just fine and I have it open.

So what exactly are you wanting to do with this, do you want to pocket out the 3" circle and the 1" square?

P.S. Which version and Build of BobCAD are you using?

You only have 2d geometry in your file. you need to make a 3d object.

Yes, exactly.

If this is just an example for learning, I would create a solid cube with a cylinder subtracted out of it. You can use the resulting solid/surfaces as geometry for the Z level rough.

Otherwise, I would normally just use the 2D pocket routine.

Not really, I hate the way BobCAD does a 2D pocket, but it's the quickest way. Making a solid is extra work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ken_1-2011-02-08-18-20-00.jpg  

I would like to see the procedure for milling out the inside shape of the circle transitioning into smaller square. I'm guessing you'd make the transitional geometry (circle to square) into a solid and perform a boleen solid subtraction? THanks for your help!

Trying to create a skin for each side of the internal feature, but not getting anywhere...though I would stich the 4 sections together and form a solid? Can't get the lines to begin and end going the same direction though...
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by klrskies View Post
    I would like to see the procedure for milling out the inside shape of the circle transitioning into smaller square. I'm guessing you'd make the transitional geometry (circle to square) into a solid and perform a boleen solid subtraction? THanks for your help!

Ken
    You're on the right path, absolutely. I'm not that great on solid/surface modeling but I'm thinking skin it or use cross section.

I'm awfully slow, but I got the 4 inner surfaces skinned and them stiched together. I need to cap off the internal feature first so its a complete solid, Then I'll make a solid cube to define the workpiece, then do a boleen subtraction....I think! Thanks for helping me get started, I was having difficulty understanding the process and you got me pointed the right way.

Ken

Got it.

Here's the finished file.

Ken_2.zip: