584,833 active members*
5,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RS232 Communication Problem

I seem to be getting nowhere trying to figure out how to load a program from my PC to a Dynapath 10.

I just took my PC to the repair shop to verify the the RS232 port was working and identified properly, and it is.

Here is the cable pinout...

The cable has been tested and is good.

Here are the Dynapath settings.

Here are the software parameter settings...

Here is the simple program that is a .txt file created in Windows Notepad and imported that I am attempting to send...

I started by creating a part program in "Catalog" mode and named it "TESTLOAD".

I then go to "Load" mode and "TESTLOAD" shows in the upper right corner of the screen. I press the "Load Program" soft key, then go to my PC and click on "Send", and within a few seconds the software application shuts down, Windows closes, and the computer shuts off!

I have tried both "Machine Link" and "Easy DNC" as well as "Hyper-Terminal", and the results are the same.

Any clue what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have another machine with a Delta as well, but I have a circuit board out of the Servo Amp being repaired, and I'm not sure I should power it up.

Thanks!

Ya, your cable is wrong. You need a null modem adapter. I just went to radio shack, bought a 9 to 25 cable, a null modem adapter and use it on everything. Basically, you need to jumper the handshake. 4-5,6-8-20 on the db25, 9 pin I can't remember any longer.

Here is the pinout that Dynapath shows on their site.

DynaPath CNC Controls & Machine Tools

Which I believe is what I have.

I cropped the pinout image on my post, but it specifically stated that it is Null on the caption.

Are there different Null cables?

I know less than nothing about Serial Communication other than it is exteremely confusing...

I don't think there are different ones. Just need a 9 to 25 serial cable and a 25 pin null modem adapter. Nothing special. You might want to pick up a light box so you can test the comm port on the machine. They are like 10 bucks.

Thanks for the help!

Got a Null Modem cable ordered, as I needed additional length.

Like this...

Ok, had time to look up what i have. Its a null Modem no handshake adapter. The newer controls use the xon/xoff, and I use it for multiple controls, so simpler was better for me.

So apparently, that means that the Null Modem Cable I just ordered is also incorrect?

I've now discovered four different pinout Null Modem Cables...

I need a 25' minimim length cable from DB9F to DB25M that will let me communicate between my PC and my Dynapath.

Does anyone have an actual part number that will work?

I now have purchased two that don't!

Thanks!

wires crossed

TXD on one connector needs to go to RXD on the other - from what I see you have RXD to RXD and TXD to TXD so as per a previous post you need to cross over.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Tonight I tried connecting to another Dynapath controlled machine, and the PC again shut down when attempting to send or recieve data. That pretty much eliminates a Conroller issue.

awemawson,

I tried that style cable in post #1.

I brought in a different PC from home that had a RS232 port, and it worked on the first attempt using Hyper-Terminal and the configuration and cable shown in post #1.

I had taken the first computer in to the repair shop specifically to have them test to make sure the RS232 port was working properly when I couldn't communicate, and $75.00 later, they said it worked perfectly.:bs:

Apparently, after all of this aggravation, it does not work properly...

Thanks!

And a special thank you to John for all of your help!

It is greatly appreciated!

RS232

I'm working on this same issue. Guy I got the mach from said he only had 3 wires hooked up. Will try wiring a cable like the book and see what happens.

I only had one computer with a Serial Port, and the port does not function correctly, which turned out to be my problem, but I did have USB, so…

I picked up one of these:
    GoldX® PlusSeries® USB to Serial Converter : GXUSB-1200

I connected that to a DB9F to DB9M straight through cable ( 2-2, 3-3, etc.) and used a DB9 to DB25 adapter like this:
    Serial Port Adapter Female DB9 to Male DB25 | eBay

Hooked it up and it works flawlessly!

Cadem.com has many PDF diagrams for cable and settings (look under DNC and DNC Connection Data) The cable can be made from any serial cable and just purchase a new DB9 end and solder wires as required. Usually you just require three wires to communicate ,receive, transmit and signal ground (do not confuse with system ground). You have also to configure port settings, with windows -control panel-system-device manager-ports-com(1)- and set to correct settings. Once this is done you can you Cadem Lite, hyperterminal, or any other communication program to export file.

That's what I normally do is make our own cables. Makes it easy to jumper if you need and don't have to sit there with a paper clip and ring wires. Now I need to get off my arse and do it for the Dynapath.

Re: RS232 Communication Problem

bump

i'm currently working through the same thing. i've got my cable which is a crossover and is the same cable the previous owner used. I've got RealTerm installed.
    i'm trying to do R5 -4800 baud. i've turned off parity, ctl char, and echo. i got my com port set to match. I can tell something is happening because when i try to send a file i get a Load Error N on the cnc control.

what does a Load Error N mean? could it be the file i'm sending isn't formatted correctly? does anyone have a sample gcode that is known to work with Delta10?

Attachment 445298Attachment 445300

...try P1 and X1 ..echo off for Dynapath....

PC.....7/E/1 stop bit and Receive/Transmit Software flow XON/XOFF 1st....than add Hardware flow if doesnt work

Start Program with program name 8 letters max

Sample...

(PROGRAM1)
    N0001(E)M30$
    END

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	real-term mod.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	445318

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...try P1 and X1 ..echo off for Dynapath....

PC.....7/E/1 stop bit and Receive/Transmit Software flow XON/XOFF 1st....than add Hardware flow if doesnt work

Start Program with program name 8 letters max

Sample...

(PROGRAM1)
    N0001(E)M30$
    END

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	real-term mod.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	445318
    that worked! Thanks.

I’m using the COMMUNICATION SOFTWARE FOR FANUC CNC , it works very well with all FANUC CNC I have even with old SIEMENS CNC with RS232 connection.
    Now I would like to get rid of cables and use WiFi connection instead.
    This is an old project I have but I do not have experience with wireless connection.
    Has anybody tried to use mentioned software with wireless connection?.
    I downloaded the latest version of "COMMUNICATION SOFTWARE FOR FANUC CNC" from SOFTPEDIA:
    https://www.softpedia.com/get/System...or-FANUC.shtml

I would really appreciate your help.
    Regards
    Juan Carlos