584,866 active members*
5,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki Mills > spindle assembly/parts drawing for a SV-50?

spindle assembly/parts drawing for a SV-50?

anyone have one? need to pull the spindle, would be handy to know what lies inside

SV50 spindles are my lease favorite to do. I don't have prints i can send. I do remember having to change the upper bearing when doing a spindle, so all the motor leads had to be disconnected to get the upper housing out. First one I did took me almost 2 days, but then it was 115deg in the shop those two days. Don't forget the small set screws in the side of the sensor ring. If you try to get it off without loosening them, your hosed. You will need a 29mm socket to remove the coolant coupling. Don't try to work around it, the ceramic chips easy and it 2 grand for a new one.

thanks for the insight...I havent even looked at the thing yet other than give it a spin, feels like gears clashing...but pretty certain theres no gearbox on a motorized spindle...
    quick question- are the bearings straight bore angular contact or taper bore cylindricals? just wondering if its gonna be expensive or real expensive
    Tim

It going to be expensive, you CAN NOT CHANGE BEARINGS YOURSELF. This has an armature on the spindle shaft with hydraulic nuts. Only re-builders with the correct equipment can do these. If you try to do it yourself, you will be buying a brand new spindle from Mori. Figure 5K minimum for rebuild. Then you will need the upper bearing, about 600.00 additional. The upper bearing sits in a floating housing, with ball bearings to allow it to float. This is not a simple job on a SV. The newer machines are pretty easy.