585,762 active members*
4,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Why earthing laserengraver ?

The manual of my laserengraving machine says that it is most important to earth my machine properly.
    Can anybody tell me why that is so important ?

Froggygeorge

One good reason is that the Tube Power Supply puts out some 16,000 Volts and if a short or flash over to the casing occurs you could be fried.
    In general it is a safety requirement for all mains equipment, which does not meet the 'double insulated' regulations to be earthed.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Chinese lasers - high voltage
    Brand lasers - electronics protection from static electricity (moving parts, belts and etc; static from sheet materials)

And keep in mind that grounding via electricity plug very often work bad if we speak about lasers. I usually remove paint from laser body around screw with abrasive paper and connect laser body with earth with copper wire.

Last problem: customer send file from PC to laser, file went from PC but do not reach laser. After grounding as described above everything work well.

Litografa is, of course, quite right about the Chinese machines. You need to check the earth bonding of all exposed metal parts and clean the paint away to bare metal behind screws as necessary. Earth bonding is not a requirement they seem to take seriously in China.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Release static,in order to prevent shocking by electricity , and the accident by static interference.

i have a chinese one and indeed like you said,
    the controllerbord is connected on a steel plate but like someone said here that they don't take it serious earthing.

the piece of metal that the board is on was totally powdercoated so no connection with the case at all

that also did not do the job for me and i build a metal casing for it to shield the controller from the PSU and poof it worked (chair)