584,812 active members*
5,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Precision Black Granite Surface Plate

Precision Black Granite Surface Plate

For some reason I decided to buy a Grade A 12x18 (.0001) lump of rock.

Why did I buy this? I plan on mating 2 surfaces to weld by clamping both to the only known flat surface in my house-a new granite plate.

What else can I use this leviathan for?

Tig or another process? Spatter will probably fracture and pit the surface.

I mostly use mine in conjunction with a height gage to scribe parts, checking for square ( with a square), or lapping things with wet sandpaper. It works really well as a paperweight too

At 75 lbs it makes a DAMN good paperweight.

I will take significant measures to protect the surface from my small wire mig welder.

Nateman....

Hey buddy please be careful doing that because if granite is anything like concrete it can literally explode in your face from the heat. I would probably not do this with a nice shiny new surface plate. They are very useful for your milling practices and precision metal measurement and I believe the technical term is Metrology. If you want a known flat surface for welding on they do make steel surface plates that would be more suitable for this project. They are also a little cheaper sometimes than granite. Good luck man and peace

Pete

Granite plate is a great place to measure from when scribing. It's perfect for sanding when you need to keep the surface flat. Height measurements, comparison measurements, staining a surface to check contact. Lots of uses. At the price Enco charges I guess you can afford to muck one up but they are awful useful and I would rather not.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I wouldn't worry about it blowing up, cracking or anything of the like. Just doing some spot welds to hold it in place parallel, then I will make a steel plate to bolt together. I wouldn't go through all that trouble just to crack the block, or even mar it up.

I bought one too when they had free shipping. 24.99 to the door...

I had to add another item to get over$25.00

A question.

I would like to use it for tramming. Is it ground and flat and square?

I would like to stand it on end and tram my column. I have a 12" cylinder square but 24" would be better.

I have two granite slabs that are the size of a double kitchen sink. They were cut out when my parents had new granite counter tops installed in their home. I have not used them for anything but I guess it's nice to have them for when I do need them plus they were free. They are only about 1.5 inches thick and pretty flat. I haven't checked the surfaces yet for flatness but will when I need to use them.

I used to sell granite, corian and other countertop and flooring products. A year or so ago I took a very quality though not expensive "black galaxy" granite tile and used it to tram my mill as it was a 12 x 12 tile. While I had an indicator on the tile, I rotated it 90 degrees four different times. I could never detect a difference in thickness with my indicator and it is good for .0005. It was good enough for me and very easy to use and less than 10 bucks though mine was free. Due to granite being so highly polished, any surfacce imperfection will cause a refraction of the light. Customers wouldnt like it much. When the slabs are ground and polished, both sides are ground but only 1 side is polished. You can bet the gauge of the material is very accurate. Probably comparable to an optical finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by chipslinger69 View Post
    I have two granite slabs that are the size of a double kitchen sink. They were cut out when my parents had new granite counter tops installed in their home. I have not used them for anything but I guess it's nice to have them for when I do need them plus they were free. They are only about 1.5 inches thick and pretty flat. I haven't checked the surfaces yet for flatness but will when I need to use them.