585,992 active members*
5,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > 2002 Haas SL-10 low lube alarm

2002 Haas SL-10 low lube alarm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently purchased 2002 Haas SL-10.

1. Pull up the pump handle by hand, the pressure gauge shoot up to 40psi, and gradually drop in pressure in 10 minutes period.

2. Run the spindle at 300 rpm for approx 25 minutes, watch the gears inside the way lube tank, during the 25 minutes spindle running time, the gear is NOT turning a bit.

Bad Bijur pump motor?Any proceduces to confirm the bad pump motor by testing it, or testing the wiring using a voltage meter?

I did spend few hours on drain and cleaning the lube lines with fresh Mobile #2 vactra lube oil.

I do have a 2007 Mini Mill, Is it good idea to swap the 07" mini mill Bijur pump motors to 2002 Haas SL-10 for testing purpose?

Any suggetion is welcome...Thank You
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bijur_20721-2.jpg  

We loose those little motors quite often. Our manual bridge ports use them, and some of the older cnc equipment. Pretty cheap part.

Bijur / TM1 Lube Pump 110vac/4 Lt/ #36158
    $65.00 from ebay auction

anyone know anything about this Bijur lube pump will be compatible with the Haas SL-10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bijur_tm1.jpg  

If the lube pump holds pressure between 8-10 minutes, then it is doing its job. Two things are happening here, the first of which is the cheapest, and that is the pressure switch directly behind the bijur pump is no good and can be replaced for a couple dollars, get one ate any auto parts store, if that does not fix the 121 alarm, then you have a bad output circuit on your I/O PCB,which will need replacing, fortunately,for what it is, its really not that expensive. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gangpw924 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently purchased 2002 Haas SL-10.

1. Pull up the pump handle by hand, the pressure gauge shoot up to 40psi, and gradually drop in pressure in 10 minutes period.

2. Run the spindle at 300 rpm for approx 25 minutes, watch the gears inside the way lube tank, during the 25 minutes spindle running time, the gear is NOT turning a bit.
    Any suggetion is welcome...Thank You
    This is perfectly normal.

The lube pump is operated by compressed air and cycles approximately every thirty minutes when the spindle is running.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Lube alarm

There are several things to check here:
    1) make sure the small electric motor is running when spindle is turning.
    2) make sure running motor lifts pump and drops to make pressure about every 30 minutes of running
    3) make sure you see the low lube input signal change to 0 when pressure is showing on guage
    4) make sure gauge and input signal continue to show pressure for about 8 minutes.
    5) make sure there is oil in tank as a low level switch keeps signal from indicating.

The lube electric motor runs on 120 VAC and is turned on anytime the axes are in motion or the spindle is turning for more than a few seconds.

The input signal is viewed on the diagnostic data page, fourth from bottom left.
    The output to the electric motor is viewed on the same page middle of right side.
    The output stays on for a couple of minutes aftrer axes and spindle stop.
    The alarm occurs if 35 minutes of pump time passes without seeing pressure.

I know this thread is a bit old, but has some excellent information in it as far as the lubrication system.

I'm' using a 2001 Haas Mini Mill which is having the same 121 Alarm issues.

I went through the steps and checked a few things. First off, I manually pressurized the tank and it slowly drops pressure from 40psi to 0 psi in about 6 to 7 min.

I then checked the lube pressure bit on the diagnostics page, and when it shows a 1, I manually build pressure, and it changes to a 0. Does this mean the pressure switch is working properly?

If I don't manually pressurize the tank, it will alarm after about 1 hour (or two pump cycles).

I have tried looking at the pump shaft to see if it is spinning slowly, and can not really tell. I stared at it for 6 min while the machine was running and did not notice it moving. Had to shine a bright light through the oil so it wasn't a super clear view. Any points on the shaft I can focus on to see if it is moving.

Also, does the shaft spin one revolution per 27min of run time? Or will it spin multiple revolutions. I don't quite know what the shaft looks like so I am not sure how it hits the plunger.

My first guess is that the motor is not spinning. One thing I can do is check for power at the motor or the drive circuit. Though not sure where to measure this. I tried to look on the diagnostics page for the output to electric motor bit, but could not find it on the middle of the right side of the page as stated. Do you have an exact name / position for this bit? And if this bit is set, does this mean the motor is getting power?

Thanks again for this information it has been very useful. I am sure I will be able to pinpoint the problem very soon.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
    I know this thread is a bit old, but has some excellent information in it as far as the lubrication system.

I'm' using a 2001 Haas Mini Mill which is having the same 121 Alarm issues.

I went through the steps and checked a few things. First off, I manually pressurized the tank and it slowly drops pressure from 40psi to 0 psi in about 6 to 7 min.

I then checked the lube pressure bit on the diagnostics page, and when it shows a 1, I manually build pressure, and it changes to a 0. Does this mean the pressure switch is working properly?

If I don't manually pressurize the tank, it will alarm after about 1 hour (or two pump cycles).

I have tried looking at the pump shaft to see if it is spinning slowly, and can not really tell. I stared at it for 6 min while the machine was running and did not notice it moving. Had to shine a bright light through the oil so it wasn't a super clear view. Any points on the shaft I can focus on to see if it is moving.

Also, does the shaft spin one revolution per 27min of run time? Or will it spin multiple revolutions. I don't quite know what the shaft looks like so I am not sure how it hits the plunger.

My first guess is that the motor is not spinning. One thing I can do is check for power at the motor or the drive circuit. Though not sure where to measure this. I tried to look on the diagnostics page for the output to electric motor bit, but could not find it on the middle of the right side of the page as stated. Do you have an exact name / position for this bit? And if this bit is set, does this mean the motor is getting power?

Thanks again for this information it has been very useful. I am sure I will be able to pinpoint the problem very soon.

Terry
    The lube pump has a plug connector that is located directly behind the lube panel at the back of the machine. Find the power wire coming out of the pump and fish it out, it's not very long. If the machine is moving or the spindle is turning you should see power at the plug.

The pump should pressurize every 30 minutes. If you have power but it does not pressurize, then your pump is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    The lube pump has a plug connector that is located directly behind the lube panel at the back of the machine. Find the power wire coming out of the pump and fish it out, it's not very long. If the machine is moving or the spindle is turning you should see power at the plug.

The pump should pressurize every 30 minutes. If you have power but it does not pressurize, then your pump is the issue.
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did find the problem. It was kind of strange though and has me a little concerned. The pump was definitely not spinning so I took off the top motor cover, and removed the 4 stand-offs to fully expose the motor. I also took off the motor just to check out the whole system.

I started the spindle and immediately saw that the motor and shaft were spinning nicely (1 RPM). Also checked the voltage on the motor and measured 118VAC with spindle running. I then stuck a small screwdriver down into the tank (where the motor shaft goes), and manually spun the shaft about 30 times to see the gears turn and the lever pushing up on the pump handle. And pressure built up just fine.

So at this point I could not figure out what was wrong. I then re-assembled it, fired up the spindle, and the motor was not turning.

So I took the cover off again, and it started working. I eventually found out that when I pushed down on the motor cover, the motor would stop, but if I lifted it up an inch or so it would start running again. So I figured it was a wire on the terminal block, or cracked crimp connector. I re-seated the screws and checked the connectors. But it was still doing the same thing.

I finally noticed that the terminal block was actually pressing up against the top of the motor when inserted into the slots of the stand-offs. So I loosened two of the standoffs to raise up the terminal block an 1/8" or so. Re-assembled the cover tightly and it all works great now.

I'm still not 100% sure what I fixed, since I really did not change anything. So not sure how long it will stay working. But for now there really isn't anything else I can look at.

Thanks again for the reply. If you have any more info in this motor cover area, please let me know.

Terry

low lube alarm

I too am getting a low lube alarm. After reading this thread I checked voltage & am getting 120V across the 2 leads that go to the pump motor. The pump motor is turning & the cam & plunger lift arm are operating. When I lift the plunger manually lube pressure goes up & stays there for awhile. IF these are doing their thing & I am pumping lube, what's next on the list to check?
    Thanks
    Murphdog

Quote Originally Posted by murphdog View Post
    I too am getting a low lube alarm. After reading this thread I checked voltage & am getting 120V across the 2 leads that go to the pump motor. The pump motor is turning & the cam & plunger lift arm are operating. When I lift the plunger manually lube pressure goes up & stays there for awhile. IF these are doing their thing & I am pumping lube, what's next on the list to check?
    Thanks
    Murphdog
    Verify the pressure switch is working in diagnostics.

The pressure switch seems to be working. When I manually lift the lube plunger the pressure bit on the diagnostics page changes to 0. Lube pressure shows 30-40 lbs on the gage initially and it takes 20-30 minutes for pressure to drop below 10 lbs so I do not suspect a broken lube line. What's next?
    Thanks
    Murphdog

30 minutes is way too long for pressure to go to 0. Sounds like you have plugged metering units.

Just got mine VF-2 fixed, it was the pressure switch. $7.00 with shipping off of eBay. Remember that the switches can work sporadically too, if you just get an occasional alarm.

In an earlier post we joked about sitting behind the machine with a 6 pack and the spindle running slowly and watching for the pump to cycle and the pressure to go up. What I did was much easier, I just set up a video camera to watch the gauge. After an hour I watched the tape (fast forwarding) and fond that it was indeed cycling properly. Changed my switch and all was well.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

It's been about a year, and my Mini Mill is still occasionally having issues with the lube pump motor. When I get the alarm (once every 2 months or so of use), I pull the cover off the lube pump to expose the motor and see that it is not spinning with the spindle running, and the motor is always pretty hot. Seems if I let it cool down, it starts working again for another month or so.

There is power going to it, so it seems like the motor is simply failing.

My motor has the same part number as the one shown in the first pictures on this thread. Has anyone been able to purchase one of these motors? Do they even make a replacement. Haven't found one yet, but I'll keep looking.

Update ---

Just found it at two places for around $180.00. Pricey little motor. Any alternatives

Thanks,

Terry