584,340 active members*
7,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Programming W axis in V21

Programming W axis in V21

Hi,

I am using Bob Cad V21 to generate G-code for a Centroid M400 contolled machine. However I now have a machine with a W axis. For certain sections of the program I need the W & Z axis to work together. Currently I have to go back and enter in the values for W manually . I was hoping it maybe possible to setup another configuration that automatically put in W values. I could switch between this & my standard configuration when I only need to cut with the Z axis.

Any ideas how to do this.

Thanks

Richard

Is the W a direct replacement for another axis, such that the outputted value is correct and you just need to change say all the Xs to Ws?

If so:

On the CAM side, go to Setup > Conversion.
    Enter an Original character and the Convert To character.
    All new posted code will be converted.
    (as I type this, I don't know if it converts scripted code....but that can be dealt with)

I will try that but I am not sure that will work as I would need to convert Various Z values to z & W values.

For example Z1 would become Z1 W1. It looks like this would give me ZW1 & I am not sure this would work.

I will try though & thanks for the help.

Nope...the conversion feature probably won't work.

Is it just in canned cycles that you need to change?

I can't find a Centroid G-code list online...do you know of one?

With more info, I can give better answers.

I tried your suggestion moldmaker. Unfortunately it didn't work out to well. I end up with ZW1 which I don't think will work.

I can see it would work for a direct switch from a Z to W axis but I am running both spindles together so I need both Z and W to have a value.

I think there is a code to slave both axes but I beileve I have to unlock a parameter in the controller.

Currently I post all my code with Z values then use the search & replace command to convert the required instances to Z & W. I have to repeat this for every Z value. I also can't use replace all at some points I am running just the spindle on the Z axis.

It's not to bad as I don't have many difernt Z Values, typically 4 or 5 per program. However anything that saves me time & removes chance of human error has to be a good thing.

Any other input welcome.

I may have a PDF of the manual here. If not I have it at the shop & could post it tomorrow.

As for canned cycles I have not really used them to much with the excepton of drilling. It maybe something like that.

I'll take a look for the G-codes

I see....

Does the W relate to the Z moves for a subspindle?
    Or is it for a tailstock move?

I'm trying to picture if a script can be written that would give you what you need.

This is alink to the Centroid M400 manual

http://cncsnw.com/232MillManual.pdf

I am not sure what you mean. My technical knowledge is not really up to scratch.

Basically I have to routers routing identical parts at the same time. So the Z axis router is cutting at one position along the x axis & the W ais router is cutting an identical part further along the x axis.

Then at some points I have to switch tools, this is where I just run 1 spindle as I only have an automatic tool changer for the Z axis Router. So at this point my W axis raises up to a rapid position then I do all my routing with the Z axis spindle.

Does this make sense?

If you look at page 222 in the manual you will see there is a parameter 64 which can pair the 2 axes together. However this can only be turned on & off manually when a program is not running, unless I pay to unlock programmable parameters, in which case I could change the value of this parameter whenever i want.

So I want to explore all the options for scripting or posting code before I shell out for this feature, especially as it's not my machine & I am having a hard time convincing the owner of the merits of unlocking this feature.

Perhaps I should proof read my files a little less carefully and have a few W axis crashes...!!! That may make up his mind even if it's a little morally suspect.

Nowww I see....

I was speaking lathe and you're speaking router.

So you need code that would send the secondary spindle to W axis home prior to each toolchange?

Perhaps you can show me your g-code before and after edit. So I can see what you're changing. Be sure to include all instances where you need it changed.

I'll dig something upn the morning.

Thank you very much for the support..