584,857 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

trouble importing autocad dxf

Howdy everyone, I'm experiencing some problems with importing an autocad file into my torchmate CAD software to get a cut-path. And to do general work as I have no idea how to use Autocad. This is an autocad file I was given and didn't create. Seriously, I have trouble selecting a part in Autocad.

Inline are two screen shots illustrating my problem. When I create a toolpath the path is broken and some parts of the path are just missing. If I double click on the part in the Torchmate CAD it appears whole and consistent. Actually, when I try to select one of these parts in Autocad I select the curve I clicked on - how can I link the whole object in Autocad?

How it looks after the toolpath is created in Torchmate CAD:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torchmate cad.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	126582

How it looks on the the Torchmate driver software
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torchmate sw.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	126583

When AutoCAD exports a DXF file the part is broken wherever a straight line meets another straight line, or a straight line meets an arc. In our CAD software, the objects need to be connected back together in order to make the objects whole.

It looks like you have CAD version 7 or newer based on your screen shots. When you bring it into Torchmate CAD, there is a import configuration screen that has some checkboxes on it, one says Close Shapes and the other says Remove Duplicates. If you check both of these boxes this should solve that problem.

Or if you already have the part brought in, you can select all of the part, and do an Arrange - Connect Path, which will find gaps smaller than a specified distance and connect them back together.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Torchmate View Post
    When AutoCAD exports a DXF file the part is broken wherever a straight line meets another straight line, or a straight line meets an arc.
    AutoCAD doesn't break anything apart when saved as a .dxf

If the lines and arcs are not connected, then they weren't connected in AutoCAD.

To join lines and arcs into a single entity in AutoCAD, use the PEDIT command with the join option.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

If the lines and arcs are not connected, then they weren't connected in AutoCAD.

To join lines and arcs into a single entity in AutoCAD, use the PEDIT command with the join option.

PEDIT is a great feature. It's a must have control!

I'm not very familiar with Autocad, however if this PEDIT can connect an entire object, or drawing together before exporting, then it should do the same as doing a Connect Path in our Torchmate CAD.

As long as the object gets connected together before toolpathing, that is the key.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Torchmate View Post
    I'm not very familiar with Autocad, however if this PEDIT can connect an entire object, or drawing together before exporting, then it should do the same as doing a Connect Path in our Torchmate CAD.

As long as the object gets connected together before toolpathing, that is the key.

-Mike
    Mike, I had tried doing that in the Torchmate CAD but the Torchmate CAD would connect some objects fine, and others it would not connect well at all. It would try to connect paths on opposite ends of the object.

My partner showed me the pedit command and I figured out how to connect the paths. Since then I've forgotten how to use the pedit command and now must relearn.

It does for me!! I am not familiar and/or comfortable with AC so I'm sure it is my lack of understanding the software that is the problem.....but...

When I design a part in SolidWorks and save it as a .dxf and then import it to TM CAD, it's broken up just like the OP's part.

The sketch is good and has no open profiles or dangling entities as I'm able to make a solid part from it in SW but sure as $hit everytime I save my parts as a .dxf they are broken up when imported into TM CAD.

I have used the Connect Path function that Mike described as a work around but still don't understand why saving as a .dxf form a solid parametric model creates a broken sketch.

It does for me!! .............................................

When I design a part in SolidWorks and save it as a .dxf .................
    I said AutoCAD doesn't break it up - you're using SW.
    That just happens to be how SW writes it's .dxf's - as individual lines and arcs.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

DXF to TorchCAD

I've been having the same problem, with perfect-to-12-decimal-place chained simple lines and arcs.
    If it is accurate enough for solids? it should be easily transferred.

So I can blast out the Gcode in M cam, and reprocess for the kerf width, feedrate and line test run.

DXF to TorchCAD is not 100pct yet. Wish it was though.
    Been doing this too long

Cool Same or similar issue...

I make a toolpath in Rhino, export it as dxf, then import it to torchmate driver program to route it and most of the paths are aligned on the z-axis...I make toolpaths with Bobcad 21 all the time and they run fine but importing dxf directly (regardless of version etc...) it scrambles in the torchmate program. Wondering if the torchmate box will run under emc2....maybe I need to can their software for good? I am doing 3d mold contouring...even unmolested arcs are failing...

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I make a toolpath in Rhino, export it as dxf, then import it to torchmate driver program to route it and most of the paths are aligned on the z-axis...I make toolpaths with Bobcad 21 all the time and they run fine but importing dxf directly (regardless of version etc...) it scrambles in the torchmate program. Wondering if the torchmate box will run under emc2....maybe I need to can their software for good? I am doing 3d mold contouring...even unmolested arcs are failing...
    Can you describe the discrepancy in any more detail than "scrambles" or provide us with an example of the error you are receiving? We are a partner with Bob-Cad and haven't heard of anyone having any issues taking a DXF from Bob-Cad to Torchmate drivers software, although we typically do recommend using the post processor to let Bob-Cad do the g-code geometry. This way there is no possible chance of a discrepancy. The same also applies for Rhinoceros.

The Torchmate control boxes will not operate off of any other software than ours.

-Mike