585,933 active members*
3,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Leadwell 550D With Fanuc OM control

Leadwell 550D With Fanuc OM control

I have recently acquired a 1985 ish Leadwell VMC 550D I was told the mother board was bad. I have installed a new one and now I have a 511 x axis overtravel error that will not go away. The machine has yet to move under its own power. Seems to be stuck in e-stop type mode. checked all the parameters several times, I have the original parameters from the Operators manual(s) as well as several updated print outs from the previous owner.
    Thanks in advance for the help!!

Kevin

You should double check all the limit switches. From 1985 and shipping and moving, one may have gotten pressed. I may be stuck down. Lots of time a little WD-40 and effort will loosen them back up.

Then another other option is turn off machine. Hold 'P' and cancel on the keyboard, re-start the machine. The allows the fanuc to ignore the overtravel until it is zero returned. Keep them held in until the machine powers up completely.
    Be careful not to hold down any other keys. You risk erasing all paramters.

Robert

Try this
    power off control, before power on again, push P and Cancel keys and keep them press
    until you have send all axes Home.
    almost sure this will work for you.
    Robby 68

I am ass u ming that you have incremental encoders and the machine needs to be referenced at each power up.

If the machine was running fine before you changed the board and once that was complete you are getting the alarm then I would predict its your parameters and not a switch issue. I do not have any manuals in front of me for your control at the moment but IIRC they are the 700 range for the "stroke limit" which IOW is your soft limit settings. Take a look at them and see if they are set properly.

Quick down and dirty explanation of what they should be set like. If your machine reference position is all the way X+, Y+, Z+ then the setting for the positive direction for each axis should be around 3mm which would read in the parameters as 3000 if you have metric ballscrews. The setting for the negative direction will be the travel limit of the axis. Example if X axis travel is 500mm then the value would read 500000 ( or just under that). Check the parameter manual for the exact parameters. Should be under the section of stroke limit.

If you are able to home the machine using some suggestions above with "P" and "cancel" then power cycle the machine and if the problem persists then check the parameters.

I can't remember if 511 is hard or soft limit alarm. I could be totally off with the above if it is hard limit alarm.

Stevo

511 is X minus overtravel
    if this is real, you musa have X axis all the way touching hard OT
    then use button on operation panel to release or bypass OT switches
    but on this machines normal you will be getting EMG state also.

Wink

Kevin-look at the simple things first. Remove the sheet metal cover at the front of the table and look for chips packed in there. It is a very common problem. The switch may also be sticky. WD-40 and actuate with your finger a few
    times. Also,most older Leadwells that I have seen zero up at the left rear of the table(Z+Y+X-). You can also call Campat Machine Tool in Plano,Tx. and ask for the service department. They can help you over the phone. Good luck!
    Dan

511 looks to be a soft travel alarm. I would start with confirming the parameters. Parameter 700 and 704 are your +/- for the X axis.

Stevo

Thank You!

Thanks to every one for the help. The 704 (-x) was missing the neg sign. On to the next issue. Still no operation. When I turn on the machine I get a code 0402-06 not ready. If I push position or other function it will let me go to the menus. I went to position and manually turned the x ballscrew and it did not see the motion. There are no alarms, justvflashing not ready.

Thanks again in advance

Kevin

Did you reference the machine when you powered it up?

Stevo

You will have to forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea how to do that, so I'm guessing I didn't.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Kevin

Depending on the MTB and where your home position is setup there are a few different ways.

However the most common is that reference position is at the +(positive) most direction of each axis. This means that once the control is powered up you have to move each axis in the -(negative) direction in JOG or manual mode off of the +(positive) home position by at least 1 motor revolution or for our sake 2-3". Then there should be a "home" position on the switch or a "reference" position that. Once in that mode hold the +(positive) direction of the axis. The axis will move until it reaches the decel switch at which point the motion will slow and look for the marker in the encoder and then the machine is homed in that axis. Do the same for each axis.

This is of course if you have incremental encoders.

Stevo

Stevo,

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately I cannot get the machine to move any axis in any mode. Tried the MPG whel, jog modes and nothing. None of the relays work either, cannot removw the tool from the spindle or rotate the ATC which should all be air operated.

Thanks
    Kevin

Kevin,

So what alarms do you now have on the machine?

Is there any kind of "standby" or "ready" button on the machine. Sometimes once the control is powered up you need to press this to start the hydraulics and such.

Have you installed "all" of the parameters including the PMC parameters?

Stevo

So, I found out that I was missing a couple of parameters in the 750 range. I entered them but still nothing. I checked all connections, fuses and breakers. The servo drive is not powering up, no lights on the board. Its like the mother board is not telling things to turn on.

Thanks to all in advance

Kevin