585,975 active members*
4,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Fusion X2 kit - possible to swap over X-axis?

CNC Fusion X2 kit - possible to swap over X-axis?

Has anybody seen or swapped the stepper mount/motor to the opposite end of the X-axis on the CNC Fusion X2 mill kit? I'd like to do this as it would make for a neater drive-cable layout in my setup.

The X axis hardware isn't symmetrical, and so just turning it around won't work without a lot of fabrication. You would need a longer ballscrew, and a new thrust bearing holder/motor mount. And the table extension still needs to stay on the right hand end, because that's where the ballnut lives.

In short, it would be a real pain, and negates the bolt-on advantage of CNCFusion's kit.

The easiest way to do it would be to turn the table and the saddle around 180 degrees. Then everything on the X axis will bolt up in stock form. The Y axis should work OK, because it's a fairly symmetrical setup.

(Don't quote me on this. I am going from memory. Take your own measurements and do your own math.)

Your X axis gib screws will be on the back of the table, as will the locking bolt for the Y axis ballscrew. If that's worth it to you, then that's probably the way to go.

Frederic

Thanks Frederic, it sounds too hard, plus it's not a major issue which side it's on anyway.

Cheers,
    Steph