584,829 active members*
4,774 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How can I add a tapered ball end mill?

Question How can I add a tapered ball end mill?

I have a tapered ball end mill, used for 3D milling. I can't figure out how to add it to BobCAD v24's tool list. I see no options for taper angle, on any of the tool types that could be fitting for this.

Anyone have any ideas?

I don't think that you are supposed to use any of the taper part of the bit for milling parts. I would either call is a ball nose bit of whatever diameter the smallest section is, or a ball nose of the largest section.

HTH,

Jay
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

RedskinsJBS

Tapered ball end mills are use all the time,mold makers use them for putting draft on the mold so the parts will release, Patten makers use them to for the same thing, they have many other uses as well

I don't know how you would use it in Bobcad, But most cam software will give you an opition for the use of a tapered endmill
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by RedskinsJBS View Post
    I don't think that you are supposed to use any of the taper part of the bit for milling parts. I would either call is a ball nose bit of whatever diameter the smallest section is, or a ball nose of the largest section.

HTH,

Jay
    Hmm, ok. Then why do they make these kind of bits? So that you can fit a smaller-tipped bit in a larger/stronger shank/collet?

Regardless, any idea how to enter these bits into BobCAD? Other CAM products have obvious places to load them.

Guido

Ah, well good to know. Its fun learning new things.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by Guido666 View Post

I have a tapered ball end mill, used for 3D milling. I can't figure out how to add it to BobCAD v24's tool list. I see no options for taper angle, on any of the tool types that could be fitting for this.

Anyone have any ideas?
    There is currently no way that I have seen to do a proper taper tool either flat bottom or ball.

However having said that it may be possible to "con" the system a little by using a "c endmill", for that tool it is possible to set a radius for the end of the tool, then you can set a small diameter, a flute length and a large diameter, no where to set an angle but in theory if you set a large diameter that was the same as the actual diameter of the cutter at the point the flutes end then you would be pretty close I think, I suppose it all depends on how accurate you can get the measurements

No idea if this would work, pure theory but interesting none the less

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    There is currently no way that I have seen to do a proper taper tool either flat bottom or ball.

However having said that it may be possible to "con" the system a little by using a "c endmill", for that tool it is possible to set a radius for the end of the tool, then you can set a small diameter, a flute length and a large diameter, no where to set an angle but in theory if you set a large diameter that was the same as the actual diameter of the cutter at the point the flutes end then you would be pretty close I think, I suppose it all depends on how accurate you can get the measurements

No idea if this would work, pure theory but interesting none the less

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:
    Tapered Ball cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tapered_ball_cut.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	126767

Cool! Thanks for the help.

So what is a "c endmill" anyways? I couldn't find anything from a google search.

Can you post a screenshot of how you do that? I can't find a reference to the "c endmill". I understand what you are saying/describing, I just can't see how to implement your strategy...

Did you find where to enter it in BobCAD? I can't find a reference...

I do think I found a reference to a "C Endmill" though...

™Direct Cutting for High Hardening Steel (more than HRC60)uATTACKSMITHv --KYOWA CO.,LTD.--

OK, found where to do it...

In V23, hit "+" on CAM Part in the CAM tree. Click on Milling Tools.

In the list of tools, you will see C Rough and C Finish.

Thanks for the tip, guys! I hadn't seen this screen in a long time, and had forgotten about it. I didn't think you COULD do tapered bits in BobCAD - great post!!!

Hmmmmm... Found where to do it, but it doesn't seem to be working... I added a tapered tool, and used it to make a toolpath, but it is acting just like a regular endmill. It should step out as it goes deeper, but each pass is at the same gap to a vertical wall... Not a tapered action... When I select the tool in the tool list, it also doesn't change the screen to reflect the tapered bit. Is that what it does for you, BurrMan? If it matters, I am using build 1812.

C Rough and C finish are to mean Carbide tools

Also Bobcad V24 only supports Flat , Ball and Bull nose cutters at this time.

In 2D you can program off the full diameter and comp at machine to get to cut right . but 3D is just the tools listed above.

MikeG
    BobCAD-CAM

For the C Rough and C Finish tools, it lists to diameters. One at the tip and one at the top of the flute.

By what you are saying, the screenshot BurrMan posted is not possible, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    For the C Rough and C Finish tools, it lists to diameters. One at the tip and one at the top of the flute.

By what you are saying, the screenshot BurrMan posted is not possible, is that right?
    Hi Mcphill,
    I did what Mike G has posted... The tool is not definable in BC so I just define a ball mill, then manually offset the geometry/toolpath...

I can backplot for cut verification with predator editer with the proper tool by defining it in the header....

You dont get proper "avoidance" so this has to be payed attention to manually...

I dont think you can be to sure with 3d toolpaths and of course if your cut becomes very complex, then it may not be feasable also....

Ah, bummer... I need it to do avoidance, using it on complex STL shapes, so I guess it is back to the easily broken tiny ball mills : ( I was hoping to be able to use a 1/16" tapered ball so I could have a beefier tool, but stronger as well. In order for me to use it, though, I need to have avoidance fully functional...

It's amazing that BobCAD can call itself "professional" software without such an obvious feature. Do "professionals" not use these bits ever? If not, why?

I'm not a mold maker so I don't know if they still use them or not but if I need a draft angle I generate it with a standard ball nose.

Simple angles or hundreds of parts to run I might find a need for a taper end or ball mill.

Re: How can I add a tapered ball end mill?

Great information recently I was looking for such an article as wrote. thanks for sharing with us this article.

Click here to buy tapered ball end mill - https://dictoolsindia.com/hss-cuttin...-end-mills.php

DIC Tools India