584,841 active members*
4,352 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drilling/tapping 6061

I need to drill and tap a large number of holes. I bought some of the Balax forming taps to try and need to order drills for them.

For you guys doing a lot of tapping in 6061 I'd appreciate some suggestions for the most cost effective drills. I'm doing exclusively #6-32, 1/4-20 & M6 x 1.0 so I only need three sizes.

Just out of curiosity .....

What sort of tapping head are you using for your tormach? I am getting ready to buy either a TTS Tension Compression or a Reversing head for my CNC'd RF45 mill? Also how do you like the head you are using? Peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    I need to drill and tap a large number of holes. I bought some of the Balax forming taps to try and need to order drills for them.

For you guys doing a lot of tapping in 6061 I'd appreciate some suggestions for the most cost effective drills. I'm doing exclusively #6-32, 1/4-20 & M6 x 1.0 so I only need three sizes.
    I have tapped thousands of 4-40 blind holes in 6061-T6 using a Balax form tap and TTS mounted Procunier reversible tapping head on my Tormach. For drilling the hole I start by spot drilling, then use a parabolic drill with flood coolant. Parabolic drills work best in 6061-T6 IMO. BTW I use Relton A9 cutting fluid when tapping with Balax from taps in aluminum. For M6 and 1/4-20 blind holes I don't use forming taps but spiral flute taps so the chips come out the top. My Procunier 1E tapping head cannot tap 1/4 or M6 using a form tap.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    What sort of tapping head are you using for your tormach? I am getting ready to buy either a TTS Tension Compression or a Reversing head for my CNC'd RF45 mill? Also how do you like the head you are using? Peace

Pete
    I like it once the code is written. I wish I had a CAM program that would just insert the code correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I have tapped thousands of 4-40 blind holes in 6061-T6 using a Balax form tap and TTS mounted Procunier reversible tapping head on my Tormach. For drilling the hole I start by spot drilling, then use a parabolic drill with flood coolant. Parabolic drills work best in 6061-T6 IMO. BTW I use Relton A9 cutting fluid when tapping with Balax from taps in aluminum. For M6 and 1/4-20 blind holes I don't use forming taps but spiral flute taps so the chips come out the top. My Procunier 1E tapping head cannot tap 1/4 or M6 using a form tap.

Don
    What do you use for a spotting drill? I was thinking my hole/countersink tool for the #6-32 holes would work great at spotting. It is a 1/2" shank and that would save a tool change and buying another holder.

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    What do you use for a spotting drill? I was thinking my hole/countersink tool for the #6-32 holes would work great at spotting. It is a 1/2" shank and that would save a tool change and buying another holder.
    I use is a 1/4" solid carbide spot drill that has no margin relief as a countersink does.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Spot-Drill.jpg

I also use a parabolic drill after the spot drill in 6061-T6.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...olic-drill.jpg

Here is a picture of the Procunier reversible tapping head with the quick change tap holders.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...erQuickPro.jpg

This article on drilling might be of interest. http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/th...etter-drilling I wonder if the Tormach VFD spindle drive speed could be dithered so as to reduce harmonics and thus chatter when drilling? BTW I use a variable pitch blade on my bandsaw (4-6tpi) when cutting aluminum to reduce chatter. The variable pitch blade has a similar effect of reducing harmonic driven chatter as would dithering the spindle speed.

Don