585,975 active members*
4,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Speed engraving attachment??

Looking to get rpm with some type of gear box, belt that might attach to the r8 spindle, anyone seen anything like this? how about duct taping my dremel?

for engraving

high speed attachment

you got it. it is not hard to make aluminum attachments to hold a dremel or bigger die grinder on a lathe.
    same with making something to clamp on mill quill and hold a dremel or laminate trimmer or rotozip or router.
    actually for fine line engraving i just make a spring loaded tool to hold a $3 dremel carbide engraving point (or sharpen a dull end mill to a point).
    ......dragging a point is like scribbing heavy lines with a machinist scriber. the spring is needed as too much z axis change / depth and it breaks the point off.
    best way to make fine lines like for example making a ruler / scale is by dragging a point. i have engraved deeper lines with a lathe center drill at 2000 rpm without any problems. worse that happens is burrs from engraving may be difficult to remove. i often just repeat the engraving at only 0.001" deeper and this helps remove burrs. other engraving bits specially made for certain materials do cut better of those materials it was created for. sharp cutters usually cut with less burrs.
    me i am too cheap to spend a lot of money. i usually use what i have in the shop anyway

thanks for advise, if you every have time to throw up some pictures would love to see

regards

engraver and plotter pen

spring engraver holds $3 dremel engraver carbide replacement point pressed in or use loctite. a simple punch will knock it out for replacing
    plotter pen or sharpie marker holder is for drawing on a part with a cnc without cutting anything. i have caught spelling errors before actually engraving letters on something important. uses a simple brass bushing as a weight. not much weight needed to use a sharpie marker.
    they sell ones already made with a collet so it is simpler to replace point
    Engrave with a CNC Machine with the Spring Loaded Engraving Tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PlotterPenSharpie.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files