585,581 active members*
3,678 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DX32 F6 Edit Max Filesize

I've got a late nineties TorqCut with a DX32 control. I know that I have to DNC anything over 256KB program size, but is there a maximum filesize that the editor can work with.

Reason I ask is that I tried to edit a 38KB file and it accessed the floppy drive for a few seconds and then nothing. I can load and run the file just fine. I just cant edit it at the machine. I'm running the purportedly latest DX32 software version, and I've got plenty of RAM in the old Cyrix Dx4-100 motherboard (whopping 130MB). Is there some sort of FILES= or BUFFERS= setting in the config file that I need to do fix this or is this just a limitation? Smaller files seem to edit just fine.

Go to MDI and write a small program. Save it and load it and then try to edit it. This will prove if the batch file to edit is working correctly. If not you may need to reload DOS and the machine software.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

it's difficult to edit on dx32
    ,for me i edit it on cimco and then resend it back (problem in dx-32)

Shell out to DOS and edit it there.

J

As far as I can tell the DX32 editor is working just fine. I can create files by saving text typed into the MDI mode off of the <F4 RUN> menu. I made a few test files and <F6 EDIT> worked on a 31kB file (which incidentally was about 1000 lines of code in my example file) and crapped out on a 38kB file. I even moved the test files to the disc on image drive with no better luck.

It must be some kind of file size limitation with the DX32 editor. You'd think if you can load up to 256kB into the BPT control you'd at least be able to edit on the PC side.

I can shell out to DOS and use Microsoft's Edit.exe to open larger files, but it is a bit hard to explain how that's done to my not so DOS literate machine operator to do a simple hand edit or to look at the program. Maybe an old laptop on his workbench is in order.

If I could just figure out how to highjack the <F6 EDIT> key to automatically shell out and open a third party DOS based cnc editor with syntax highlighting, life would be grand.

I think Predator used to give away a lite version non-backplotting DOS editor back many moons ago. Any recommendations you folks would care to give on nice MS-DOS based CNC editor?

The edit button may not shell out, but there are several that do, you could take over one of those. Maybe the Digitize, SPS, Windows, etc, they all call an external batch file, which you could setup to edit something.

That may be an option for you.

Incidentially, I have experienced the same thing. Even modest sized files won't edit.

Brian
    EFI-Unlimited

The DX32 has a file size limit for editing. It is what it is. Your best bet is an old POS laptop or desktop for editing or do what I said earlier. Shell out to DOS and edit away, get a new operator or get a new machine are some of your choices here. Sorry but that's the way it is with these old machines. They are were ahead of their time but their time is past.

J

Shameless commercial plug:

I can supply an editor that will easily handle 4MB files on your Torq Cut for a mere $14,000. It even comes with a free CNC control :-).

Bridgeport TC3 VMC